Other options for bedding not disposable

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have read your other posts. I believe you are planning on keeping the bun indoors. Are you litter training the bun or is it already litter trained?

If you are litter training then most likely the bun will pee on anything soft in it's cage. Bunnies like to pee on soft things. When I brought Thumper home I placed a folded towel in his cage and he never laid on it. He has an extra large dog pen and prefers to lay on the plastic bottom. When he is in his room he does lay on the carpet but other times chooses to lay on a bit of linoleum in the room or in his cage.

Most people however, use fleece if they have a blanket for their bun. Towels and such have threads that can be ingested and cause medical issues.

I use lots of fleece all over besides where the litter box is. Only problem is yes, if you're litter training right now, the bunny will likely pee on the fleece. I had to wait until mine were trained to add it.

I do not use bedding in my cage, except the cozy n' fresh pellets used in the litter box. I would suggest a fleece blanket if the bottom of the cage has no traction. I would litter box train as well. That helps a lot. I would get equinefresh bedding or a wood stove pellet that can be used in the litter box. A wood stove pellet bag is relatively inexpensive and comes in a large bag that can last a long time. This is a link to what I usually get at my local TSC store its $5 for a 20lb bag and it last me quite some time. http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/cozy-n-freshtrade;-natural-pine-pellets-20-lb

I would recommend trying to get some type of bedding so you can litter box train. You could also use shredded paper or newspaper, but it will not be very absorbent, and will need to replaced more.

Back