OT There's a Mouse in our.... GINGERBREAD HOUSE!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meganc731

Reaction score
Hey Guys!!!

Hope everyone had a great Holiday!! We had a nice quiet relaxingChristmas and then we drove up to CT to surprise hubby's Grandma on her75th birthday. We've had lots of fun!

Well, I'm about to reveal just how crazy I really am.... we've had amouse in the house that we just couldn't catch, well tonight I foundhim..... in our GINGERBREAD HOUSE!!!!

mouseinthegingerbreadhouse.jpg

I can't bare to put him outside in the middle of winter, he wouldn'tdie wouldn't he??? I'm wondering what I should do with him and hopingyou all can give me some advice. Should I keep him until spring andthen release him? I would also need to know what safety precautions totake in case of disease.

Thanks for any help you can give!
Megan

Take him to a big field and release him. Youdon't want him back in the house, especially with rabbits. Chances arehe's already stocked up on body fat enough to be fine until he findsmore food. You'll both be happier when hes back in the wild.

What dolor is the mouse? A gray wouldbe a woodland mouse, all brown would be a field mouse and brown andwhite would be a deer mouse. Like all wild animals there is apossibility of rabies, but unless their behaviour is strange it isdoubtful. Other than that mostly just leas, ticksetc. I have deer mice in my shed all the time, they havelitters and move on. I had a woodland mouse thet must havecome in some rough wood I ordered. I did find a couple iffield mice in the live trap I had in the basement. I just letthem go in the summer. If it is a warm winter day abovefreezin I would let is go.

ed

That must be the happiest mouse in the entire world!

Its like the Hanzel and Gretyl story minus the evil witch LOL

I would not advise keeping him in the house simply b/c you dont knowwhat the heck he is carrying. It could be a common bacteria to him butto your bunnies it could wreck havok.

And if you release him, take like a 15 minute drive and let him goor he will be back!

if you have a cage to keep it in...you couldkeep it till spring. I did this last winter. Ilearned to feed and water the mouse during the day while it issleeping. To clean, I bought a have-a-hart trap and put it inthe cage. When the mouse got caught, I cleaned the cage andlet her back in. It will be fine!

Sharon

P.S. PICS!!!!!!! Please :)

edwinf8936 wrote:
It is just another opportunity for a new pet.

Ed
we just got two mice last wk... one is really tame but theother is still a little skittish.... the tame one is really sweetthough...they seem like good pets... i havent let them anywhere nearpeapoo though...im afraid she'll catch something.they say make sure youwash your hands before and after your around them. i dont think i wouldkeep a wild mouse though....i would be afraid of disease or sickness orsomething.

I'm sure that mouse has fattened up by now! It'sprobably best to release it since the chances of disease are up there.I'm sure he'll be fine outside. Don't worry too much about it.

Hi I think its really sweetthat you want to keep him but I would becareful. Wild Rodents can carry a diseasecalled leptospirosis whichis quite nasty. It ispassed on in the urine of infected animals. So if you keephim wash your hands thouroughly after cleaning the cage and weargloves. Also as mentioned before they carry hantavirus if thedisease is in your area and several other types of bacteria andfleas.

Pet mice from a pet store arenot a riskbut this isdifferent as it has been in the wild and in contact with all sorts ofanimals. I would let it go.

I had the same situation actually. We had a mouse in ourkitchen for a while and eventually I caughtbyscooping him up into a vase (it was the first thing to come to handwhen he ran past my feet!) They are verycute, I let him go in a park as I live in town. Ithink he would be fine.

Back