OT/discrimination

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dreamgal042

Reaction score
i see all this Christmas stuff, and i love christmas, dont get me wrong, but I cant help but think...

dont we have any Jewish members? what about Hannukah? or even Kwanzaa? so i just wanted to say

HAPPY HANNUKAH AND HAPPY KWANZAA AND HAPPY ALL-THOSE-OTHER-HOLIDAYS-THAT-ARENT-CHRISTMAS!!!

:)

Well, I don't know that I would have chosen"discrimination" as a subject heading....other members are free to postabout their holidays and everyone here knows that we'll be kind andrespectful.

That said, Happy Hanukkah and Kwanzaa (which isn't actually a religiousholiday and usually celebrated along with Christmas). And have a goodSt. Nicholas Day, too! (which some people celebrate instead ofChristmas) :D

There are a lot of more things outthere marketing Xmas than there are for Hannukah.BY NO MEANS do we wish to discriminate, and I do believe everyoneknows that.

If they had half the amount of virtual Christmas cards, orHannukah movies, or a symbol of Hannukah that was as popular as SantaClaus, you know you'd see it. I've yet to find anything likethat. By the way, no one's stopping you from posting suchthings if you come across them.

We all appreciate the meaning of what the spirit of theholidays bring. NoOne is targeting one religious belief overanother, so let's not turn it into something that it isn't.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS to everyone.

-Carolyn

Happy Chrismahanakwansika :D :D

I dont really celebrate Christmas, I celebrate X-mas. To me, inAmerica, X-mas is more of a culture thing than a religious thing.Christmas in America is really no longer religious to most people andis just time to get presents.
To me, if you celebrate jesus and all that then it is Christmas, ifyour in in just for family or presents or vacation time, it's X-mas lol.
JMO
-Madelon

And, of course no one is discriminating. Sadly, Christmas is just more widely advertised.

Happy Hanukkah!! I'll be celebrating it this wednesday so Thank You.

What is Kwanzaa? I have never heard about that holiday.

Kwanzaa is a uniquely American holiday. It wascreated in 1966 by Dr. Maulana Karenga, professor and chairman of BlackStudies at California State University.

Dr. Karenga searched for ways to bring African-Americanstogether as a community. He founded US, a cultural organization, andstarted to research African "first fruit" (harvest) celebrations.Karenga combined aspects of several different harvest celebrations,such as those of the Ashanti and those of the Zulu, to form the basisof Kwanzaa. The name Kwanzaa is derived from the phrase "matunda yakwanza" which means "first fruits" in Swahili. Each family celebratesKwanzaa in its own way, but celebrations often include songs anddances, African drums, storytelling, poetry reading, and a largetraditional meal. On each of the seven nights, the family gathers and achild lights one of the candles on the Kinara (candleholder), then oneof the seven principles is discussed. The principles, called the NguzoSaba (seven principles in Swahili) are values of African culture whichcontribute to building and reinforcing community amongAfrican-Americans.

from: http://www.historychannel.com/exhibits/holidays/kwanzaa/hist.html

Now, this is not an African holiday. It is not celebrated inAfrica, and African-Americans (true African-Americans, that is, actualimmigrants) do not celebrate it. So Kwanzaa can honestly be celebratedby anybody if they want to, but is generally observed by blackAmericans.

and any others I've missed.

I will always say things such as "Oh God", "Good Lord",or"I'll pray for you"withnomeaningof offense to anyone that doesn't believein God.I was hoping I'd not have to clarify thathere, but since it's come up about Christmas, I thought I hadbetter. *sigh*

-Carolyn

I don't think anybody thinks its discrimination.
Its just people speak of the holidays they celebrate.

I have a really funny joke about Office Christmas party:
-------- ------ -----

I'm happy to inform you that the company Christmas Party will take
placeonDecember 23rd, starting at noon in the private function room at the
GrillHouse. There will be a cash bar and plenty of drinks! We'll have a
smallband playing traditional carols .... please feel free to sing along.
And don't be surprised if the MC shows up dressed as Santa Claus! A
Christmas tree will be lit at 1 pm. Exchange of gifts among
employees canbe done at that time; however, no gift should be over $10.00 to make
thegiving of gifts easy for everyone's pockets. This gathering is only
foremployees! The MC will make a special announcement at the Party.
Merry Christmas to you and your Family.

Pauline
----- ----- -----
In no way was yesterday's memo intended to exclude our Jewish
employees. We recognise that Chanukah is an important holiday, which often
coincideswith Christmas, though unfortunately not this year. However, from now on
we're calling it our "Holiday Party." The same policy applies to any
otheremployees who are not Christians. There will be no Christmas tree
or Christmas carols sung. We will have other types of music for your
enjoyment.

Happy now? Happy Holidays to you and your family.

Pauline
----- ----- -----
Regarding the note I received from a member of Alcoholics Anonymous
requesting a non-drinking table ... you didn't sign your name. I'm
happytoaccommodate this request, but if I put a sign on a table that reads,
"AA Only;" you wouldn't be anonymous anymore!!!!!
How am I supposed to handle this? Somebody?Forgetabout the gift exchange, no gift exchange allowed now since the Unionofficials feel that $10.00 is too much money and Management believe$10.00 is a little cheap.

NO GIFT EXCHANGE WILL BE ALLOWED.

Pauline
----- ----- -----
What a diverse group we are! I had no idea that December 20th
begins theMuslim holy month of Ramadan, which forbids eating and drinking
duringdaylight hours. There goes the party! Seriously, we can appreciate
howa luncheon at this time of year does not accommodate our Muslin
employees'beliefs, perhaps the Grill House can hold off on serving your meal
untilthe end of the party - or else package everything up for you to take
home in a little foil doggy bag. Will that work?

Meanwhile, I've arranged for members of Weight Watchers to sit
farthest fromthe dessert buffet and pregnant women will get the table closest to
thetoilets. Gays are allowed to sit with each other, Lesbians do not
have to sit with gay men, each will have their own table. Yes, there will
beflower arrangements for the gay men'stable too. To the person asking permission to cross dress - no crossdressing allowed.

We will have booster seats for short people. Low fat food will be available
for those on a diet. We cannot control the salt used in the food we
suggestthose people with high blood pressure taste the food first. There
will be fresh fruits as dessert for Diabetics, the restaurant cannot supply "No
Sugar" desserts. Sorry!
Did I miss anything ?!?!?!?!

Pauline
----- ----- -----

Vegetarian pricks! I've had it with you people!!! We're going to keep this
party at the Grill House whether you like it or not, so youcan sit quietly at the table furthest from the "grill of death," as youso quaintly putit,and you'll get your f****** saladbar, including organic tomatoes. But you know tomatoes have feelingstoo. They scream when you slice them. I'veheard them scream.I'm hearing them scream right NOW!!

I hope you all have a rotten holiday, drink, drive and die.

THE BITCH FROM HELL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
----- ----- -----
I'm sure I speak for all of us in wishing Pauline Lewis a speedy
recovery,and I'll continue to forward your cards to her. In the meantime,
theManagement has decided to cancel our Holiday Party and instead give
everyone the afternoon of the 23rd December off with full pay.

Peace and Good Will to All,
John

AnnaS wrote:
I don't think anybody thinks its discrimination.
Its just people speak of the holidays they celebrate.

I agree, AnnaS.

By the way, I edited your the addresses out of the jokes...which Ifound very funny and sadly, very true.No matter howhard you try,you just can'tpleaseeveryone.

Thank you, and I truly do hope youand yours have a lovely holiday.

-Carolyn

It's not discrimination at all. No one is sayingthat people who celebrate those occasions cannot post about them.:)I for one know nothing about either and don't want to overstep my boundaries by saying something that I don't know anythingabout. People who celebrate those occasions may post about them andI'll wish them happy holidays as I do to any other.

Carolyn said-

"I will always say things such as "Oh God","Good Lord", or"I'll pray for you"withnomeaningof offense to anyone that doesn't believein God.I was hoping I'd not have to clarify thathere, but since it's come up about Christmas, I thought I hadbetter.

Carolyn,

It would be my assumption that anyone whotold me that they were praying for me, would meditate for me, weregoing on a spiritual quest on my behalf, etc., had only the bestintentions for my well being, whether or not I believed in the same"higher power" that they did or not. I rather imagine most peoplewelcome the support and don't question from whence it comes. Yourthoughtfulness in enough. Explanations aren't necessary.

Raspberry

RaspberrySwirl wrote:
Carolyn said-

"I will always say things such as "Oh God", "Good Lord",or "I'll pray for you" with no meaning of offense to anyone thatdoesn't believe in God. I was hoping I'd not have to clarify that here,but since it's come up about Christmas, I thought I had better.

Carolyn,

It would be my assumption that anyone whotold me that they were praying for me, would meditate for me, weregoing on a spiritual quest on my behalf, etc., had only the bestintentions for my well being, whether or not I believed in the same"higher power" that they did or not. I rather imagine most peoplewelcome the support and don't question from whence it comes. Yourthoughtfulness in enough. Explanations aren't necessary.

Raspberry

I completely agree. Also, if someone here says something like "I'llpray for you" and you DON'T want those prayers for any reason, a nicepolite private message to that person indicating your feelings wouldn'tbe amiss. Personally, I don't mind be prayed for, but there might thosewho do. Like I said, we should all deal with such and similarsituations politely. I know those board is full of polite people, sothis probably is a moot point, but I just thought I'd put it out therenonetheless.

Beth :)

Speaking of Christmas hasanybody ever?heard of?secret santa? You pick out a name from a hat andthe person you get you have to give gifts to for a given date. You canalso give them treats or antything to give them clues that you arehis/her secret santa (I don't really remember, but it's really fun.)Its a really good game to play around a holiday or anytime and youdon't have to celebrate christmas or beleive in God, anybody can playit.:)

Tonight's an exciting night because it is the night before Chanukah.

:dude:

-Carolyn

sorry if I caused trouble. personally, I docelebrate christmas, but it kinda irks me that its more discussed, and,not celebrated, looking for a different word....okay cant think of it.ex, there are more cards, and christmas-oriented/themed presents andknick-knacks than there are for the other holidays, which is strangebecause im not friends with any people who dont celebrate christmas(not on purpose). im just gonna shush :)

Dreamgal, I don'tknow if this is the direction you are headed or not, but it may besimply the capitalist effect. When we combine a religious celebration,which most will agree is what got the snowball rolling here, and add toit an opportunity for anyone and everyone to make a buck, then WHAMO!Christmas stuff everywhere! It most certainly could get a personwondering about some things. For example, how many people do you allknow who rarely go to church or celebrate their relationship withChrist, but will decorate their home so that it looks like a landingstrip? And how many people love candy canes, pepper-nuts, wassail, etc.but don't know any of the history that goes with those treats that areenjoyed so much at the holidays? Sometimes I think people are justtired of the bad news,war, layoffs, sickness, death, so forthand so on and need a reason to re-live the excitement of their youth.What brings back smiles, excitement, joy and anticipation for mostpeople more than the things that come with Christmas? As to whyChristmas more so than the other holidays? I'm not so sure, other thangoing back to the roots of it being the original "biggie" of theChristian celebrations. I'm sure the gifts don't hurt either!:)Just my wandering thoughts. They may not have wanderedwhere yours were headed, but that's my take on it!

Raspberry

I have a friend who describes himself as athiestbut says he is leaning towards being jewish.(his family is jewish and Ithink he is going back to believing in it again)I haventfigured out what he means but he sure knows. I just figured good forhim. I was actauly talking to him through instant messenger while I wasreading this. He says that he sees more jewish stuff than christmasstuff... Well any way he says it is at least fifty fifty. I guess thatit is just what you are looking for. I am just thinking about todaywhen I went to the dallor store. I was thinking that I saw a awfull lotof christmas stuff but he asked like what? I said well stockings,bells, ribbons, wrapping paper, presents, and tons of red stuff. ( bythe way he was there with me) he says well I saw those bags that saidjoy, with doves on them, candles ont hem, bears on them. I also sawholiday decreating stuff but I didnt see things that I didnt grow upwithout, and I also didnt realy see things that I did not see in churchgrowing up. The only things that I did see that I would say wouldnt bein my families church was the santas. But lol if you go to hisapartment you will see tons of santas. He collects them. (Im not surehow much longer though because it drives his boyfriend crazy to haveall of the santas around LOL.)

He also said that his family did decreat but he said that I has manymany jewish friends that do not because he says it just doesnt realy goalong with his religion. They do however will do some like put candlelights in their windows ect. He believes that decreting was somethingthat came around not with religion but with stores. Just makes thingsfun and a way to make a dime.

All I see around my house is our christmas tree. The rest are lights,peguins, snow men, a snow village (that is what it says on one of thebox of the house I just bought today), oh and i guess that there are afew santas, and one negtivity set but not one that we bought my mommade it!

I personaly hate the word descrimination. It is impossible to mentioneverything. For example in this letter I talked about my guy friend.OOPS I forgot to talk about my girl friends... Now did I justdescrimated against all of them? Some could say yes because I did notmention them... didnt give fair time to them... Somebody sent our localnews station a letter because in the news they did a whole broadcastwhere they did not talk about african americans. WHY? because just sohappends that everything that they reported on happend to people whowere not african american. They were asian, or white. Now things dontoften happen here so they only mentioned two car accidents, a fire, andintroviewed somebody for something I cant remember what about. THenthere was another situation where a person did not get hired as ateacher. WHY? Well he claimed because he was black, but thats not all,he says that the majority of people in prison is black and there forthey didnt hire him because they saw him as a bad person because ofthat. That is what he said in the claim that he filed. What did theschool say, they said it was because he didnt have any degrees neededor required for the job.

Okay then a couple of days ago I heard discrimination called again, andI had to laugh at this one. Okay listen to this we have a town nearbythat has well a population wich is mostly hispanic, and when I saymostly I mean the total was 87 percent hispanic. Nothing bad with thatat all,(toprove this to you I will eventellyouthat I have cousins that are hispanic, shouldnt have tothough)but this is the claim made. The town is patroled bythe sheriffs... The county sherriffs wich patrol the whole countyimagine that... well any way the last three years they looked at thetickets, stops, call outs, etcs in this town and forty percent of thestops, callouts, arrests, tickets, etcs happend to hispanics. Nowpeople who dont live in the town, who arnt hispanics even decided thatthis was discrimation. Alot of the people living in the town is evenlaughing saying well my brother is a sheriff (what i was told whentalking to a somebody that I know from the twon at the store) etc.. 87percent of people that live there are hispanic, everyone that livesthere are proud of their heritage and not afraid of saying that... Theyare also asking how fourty percent of eighty percent is discriminationand why they can say that it is when alot of the times where times whenthe people them selves called them? Just somebody looking for a chanceto stirr something up.

I am sure that you were trying to make people see how things may bebeing over run by christmas stuff. But please dont say that WE aredescriminating because I think we all know that nobody here has been,or at least on purpose. There is no way that we can include everyoneand everything the world realy is not that small after all, and I amsure that if you look at this letter i have written ready to prey on meor others you will be able to find something. No doubting that. I guessall I can say is that I am not trying to...

So here whatever you want to hear to EVERYONE! Make it what ever you want. :p:D:p;)

Back