Ossifying Fibrosarcoma

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madaboutrabbits

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

reading thru the posts but have several burning questions

I have a bun (6 year old buck, 2,5kg) recently diagnosed with ossifying fibrosarcoma in the lefthand lower jaw half way between incisors and articulation of the jaw with skull. X-rays show it's about the size of a half small brussel sprout. My vet is not hopeful of my lad's chances but i want to give him every chance. I've bought several alternative therapies as suggested by pet owners.

Sorry for all the questions but i'm a bit frantic I don't want to leave it too late for him. If you can answer even one or two i'd be happy.

1) I have Gravizon (the graviola extract and several other herbs) that is suppoesed to have had some success with pet cancers but I bought the capsule form as i hear the liquid form has an ethanol / alcohol base. I heard that rabbits can't metabolise alcohol. Is this true?

2) I plan to break the capsules open and syringe feed contents but have been told that alcohol is sprayed onto the contents (in minute quantities). Should i try to steep the contents or can a rabbit cope with small amounts of alcohol?

3) Have any of you heard about Gravizon with rabbits? What dosage, what feedback?

4) each day i crush multivits / selenium / and turmeric into his food. Can anyone think of a reason for or against?

5) I plan to add folic acid (a B vitamin) to this. Any reservations?

6) I am sourcing Essiac tea (it contains 2% turkey rhubarb) I know the leaves of the plant are deadly (Oxyacilic acid?) but the powdered root?

7) I have a tablet form of 3 oriental mushrooms (shiitake and reishi). Have any rabbit owners used this on their pets? Is it reasonable safe to use?

8) another popular suggestion to me was cottage cheese and flaxseed oil, mashed into an emulsion. I plan to use 3-4 ml. Any experiences? Any reservations.

My biggest concern is the gut bacteria. That's one reason why i haven't tried Colloidal Silver.

Thank you

Madaboutrabbits

So sorry about your bun. I hope he pulls through okay. I'm not familiar with any of those drugs, but this site may help if you haven't seen it before:
http://homepage.mac.com/mattocks/morfz/rx/drugcalc.html

I don't recommend feeding cottage cheese or any other dairy product. Most rabbits can not digest milk products properly (like lactose intolerance) and they may irritate the intestinal lining. I also think that mushrooms are on the bad list for bunnies, but they may only be referrring to the same mushrooms that are poisonous for humans.

I also recommend posting on Etherbun if you haven't already. There's a few people there with experience treating cancers in rabbits.

Breeders and other keepers of outdoor rabbits routinely put vanilla extract in the rabbits'drinking water (1 tsp per gallon) and thatoften contains alcohol, I have yet to hear about reactions. While I can say its frequent use in rabbit circles means it'sunlikely to be harmfultohealthy rabbits in such small amounts, the same may not be true for compromised rabbits and/or larger amounts.

There has been testing done on graviola and rabbits, I'm sure you've seen this, but if not, here's some info on it (which is pretty much Greek to me): http://www.rain-tree.com//graviola-activity.pdf

Flax seeds should beokay in very small amounts (I've got one vet that says yes, one that says no). As with most nuts and seeds, the problems caused by the starch/carbsmay outweigh the benefits, but hopefully a rabbit nutritionist may have more input.

(I pulled this note out the other day: * Carbohydrates inhibit the release of motilin, a protein that (in rabbits and humans) helps regulate upper GI motility by stimulating contractions of the small intestine. Administering products that contain simple sugars and digestible carbohydrates may interfere with restoration of normal GI motility. (Brewer NR, Cruise LJ: Physiology. In Manning PJ, Ringler DH, Newcomer CE (eds): The Biology of the Laboratory Rabbit. Academic Press, San Diego, 1994, p 65.) *

Not sure about themultivitamins, I don't know of any usually prescribed for rabbits, butI believe both seleniumand turmeric are safe ingredients (tho not sure how much selenium).

Rabbits also seem to routinely getB Vitamins as far as I know, so unlikely the folic acid will be much of a problem.

*Whoops, just noticed you said flax seed oil? (Flax seeds I think are a great source of folic acid too, aren't they? And/or the B's?)

Iread something recently about the rhubarb parts and for the life of me I can't find it again, but I'll keep looking. I'dpersonally hold off on that one until it's confirmed.

Agreed re: definitely no cottage cheese, especially in an older rabbit. Maybe Bene-bac or Acidophilus.

Also agreed that you should ask these questions on the Etherbun Yahoo Group, there's some good alternative med and science people there.

sas :clover:

Pipp wrote:
Breeders and other keepers of outdoor rabbits routinely put vanilla extract in the rabbits'drinking water (1 tsp per gallon) and thatoften contains alcohol, I have yet to hear about reactions. While I can say its frequent use in rabbit circles means it'sunlikely to be harmfultohealthy rabbits in such small amounts, the same may not be true for compromised rabbits and/or larger amounts.

Correction...

Immitation Vanilla Extract is more commonly used (non-alcohol version)... I've heard several different dosages, but personally - I use 1 Tablespoon per Gallon of water.

However I'm sure there's people that have gotten mixed up and used the Pure Vanilla Extract (Alcohol version). I'm unsure whether or not there wereany adverse reactions though.

~Sunshine

SunnieBunnie Rabbitry wrote:
Correction...

Immitation Vanilla Extract is more commonly used (non-alcohol version)... I've heard several different dosages, but personally - I use 1 Tablespoon per Gallon of water.

However I'm sure there's people that have gotten mixed up and used the Pure Vanilla Extract (Alcohol version). I'm unsure whether or not there wereany adverse reactions though.

~Sunshine

Ugh, I checked my artificial vanilla extract in my cupboard and the ones at the grocery store, and they all had alcohol. That's why I said 'often'. Do I have freak brands in my neighbourhood or what? And am I getting my bunnies drunk? Damaging their little livers? I stopped using it after I researched this post and saw other references to artificial extract not containing alcohol.

Love to hear moreon this issue.

(And the original poster did post on Etherbun and got knowledgeablefeedback about the cancer, but unfortunately, the prognosis doesn't look good). :(

sas

Latest posts

Back