Orphaned babies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bucktooth

Reaction score
Hi Guys, you've helped me before when I was raising a litter of baby bunnies that were only one day old, but that was about 4.5 years ago, so I'm a little out of practice.

I work at a vet clinic so now I have an other litter of orphaned bunnies but these ones are older. Their eyes are just starting to open. They were not in great shape shape when I got them (the people tried their best), they were without their mom for about 2 days, the people did make a home made kitten milk replacer recipe and fed them some of that Sunday night, they didn't really want to eat Monday morning, but they ate for me last night (KMR and acidophilus sp?) and I fed them again this morning. There are three (one passed away before I got them) and they looked dehydrated last night when I got them. This morning, two of them still looked kind of wrinkly skinned/dehydrated, and one of them looked great. They all ate and are peeing and pooping. I gave the two wrinkly ones some lactated ringers subcutaneously which they did not enjoy at all. In fact I probably won't do that again, I believe the stress of doing that was possibly worse for the smaller rabbit than the dehydration (which maybe will correct itself with timely feedings?)

How do I know when they've had enough formula? I have the house rabbit society's guidelines, and a veterinary text book, but I still find it difficult, I just feed them until they look kind of fat in the tummy but I'm afraid to under feed or overfeed....Is there a trick? I posted on a facebook group for bunnies with 25000 members but no one replied.. What do you guys think? You always have great answers for me :) They are at the vet clinic right now, and we see rabbits here but not ones this small normally!!

My other two bunnies are 4.5 years old and doing great. You've helped me a lot with Bucktooth's gut stasis in the past. She hasn't had it since I cut the pellets out like a member suggested. :D

Jessica

Back