Organic vs. Inorganic Hay...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenk

Reaction score
This thread's title/ descriptionsays it all: Do you purchase organic or inorganic hay--and why (e.g., health benefits, cost, etc.)?

If you've fed both hay types, what differences between them have you noticed? (Does one type look, or smell better than the other?)

Jenk

I have no clue. I didn't even know there was such a thing as inorganic hay. I suppose that Timothy Hay or Grass Hay is organic since it comes straight from the ground and all. I don't think that the place del's gets their hay from sprays it with anything. Wouldn't all hay be organic?

BSAR wrote:
I have no clue. I didn't even know there was such a thing as inorganic hay. I suppose that Timothy Hay or Grass Hay is organic since it comes straight from the ground and all. I don't think that the place del's gets their hay from sprays it with anything. Wouldn't all hay be organic?
I mean organicin terms of nopesticides. My understanding is that some farmers use pesticides; somechoose to not use them (i.e., to grow/ harvestorganic hay).

Yes, organic means they use only natural pesticides, fertilizers, etc. on it. Because that tends to be more work and expense for the hay grower, it tends to cost more for the buyer as well.

gentle giants wrote:
Yes, organic means they use only natural pesticides, fertilizers, etc. on it. Because that tends to be more work and expense for the hay grower, it tends to cost more for the buyer as well.
What is your thought on feeding inorganic hay? (Everyone has an opinion on the organic/ inorganic issue, it seems. :D)

I think organic is better, but I don't think that using inorganic is bad for them or anything. I don't feed organic myself, the extra expense plus the difficulty of finding it around here is too much for me.

gentle giants wrote:
I think organic is better, but I don't think that using inorganic is bad for them or anything. I don't feed organic myself, the extra expense plus the difficulty of finding it around here is too much for me.
Completely understood. I've read various places that Oxbow is supposedly organic, but I've not found that info. on Oxbow's site.

Now I've a gorgeous box of Kleenmama's hay (my first). I tell myself that even if it's not organic (though it may be), it's worth it because it's 10 times more green than my latest 9-lb. bag of Oxbow. (It's also cheaper to have KM's hay shipped to me than to buy Oxbow hay locally. Go figure!)

I buy Organic hay (Sweet Meadow Farms), but the cost difference here is minimal. That's not the same for everyone, of course.

I would assume all hay is organic because it's too expensive to spend money for chemical fertilizer or pesticides on a hay field. There are not many pests in a hay field andit don't need fertilizer.

Fertilizer is used on lawn grass because you want a dark green color and weekly mowing.

Baby Juliet wrote:
I would assume all hay is organic because it's too expensive to spend money for chemical fertilizer or pesticides on a hay field. There are not many pests in a hay field andit don't need fertilizer.

Fertilizer is used on lawn grass because you want a dark green color and weekly mowing.
Hmmmm.... I don't know. I wishI knew more about how it's grown. Fertilizer is used on things like corn and beans, though, so why not hay? Wouldn't fertilizing it make it grow faster/better and mabye get an extra cut out of the field for the year?

Latest posts

Back