Oreo Is Now Not Eating...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OreoTheBunny

Reaction score
As most of you know, Oreo is now on an antibiotic. I noticed yesterday that his food bowl was full from the day before, the exact measurement too. He didn't eat any of it today. He has been eating a little bit of hay, and he's drinking. A little.
I tried mashing his pellets into a powder form, mixing it with water and trying to give it to him through a syringe, but he lets it dribble out of his mouth. He takes the antibiotic from a syringe, so I don't know why he doesn't take this from syringe.
My mother said that the antibiotic is probably messing with his stomach and once he's off it he'll be better. I won't be here to see if he's better then though, because I'm taking a trip to germany in the morning. (he's going to his old owner for 2 weeks, she was nice enough to take him for a while)
After that long speech, I need to know what ways I can try to make him eat. I was thinking about putting the powder in his water, but I don't know if he'll drink it. Please help! I'm desperate!!!!:pray:

I would suggest that someone contact the vet about him not eating...going off feed for very long isn't good. If it were me, I'd make sure he had whatever hay he'll eat and give him some probiotics since some antibiotics can affect a rabbit's gut. I had to give critical care to one of my rabbits by syringe. She resisted so I worked her jaw so I could get the syringe in through the side of her mouth behind her teeth. I slowly injected it towards the back of her throat. I got it down her, but you just have to go slow and do it little by little so they don't choke or aspirate it.

I'd put apple juice in a bowl, or mashed banana & water, or whatever he will eat. I can't see how antibiotics would cause this & he can't go without eating any longer.

Yes, Baytril (I believe that's the antibiotic he's on, right??) does tend to make them go off their feed-it did for both of my bunnies both time they each had it. It really bothers their tummy. Is there a way you can get critical care to feed him? Its VERY important to keep food in him, whatever he'll eat. I fed the critical care, shredded carrot/romaine, hay, etc. My bunny who I tried grinding pellets for didn't seem to like the mix at all either.

You can also get a pro biotic like benefactor (if I remember correctly). Antibiotics knock out the natural beneficial gut bacteria too, which is important for their digestive system.

When toby was on antibiotics he also pretty much stopped eating... once he finished he went right back to normal.

Latest posts

Back