Orangy coloured pee?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

serenz

Reaction score
I stopped feeding them alfalfa on a regular basis for a few months. I only give them once in a while as treat. But it seems that their pee is still dark orange? Is it ok? They're still eating and pooping ok, it's just the pee colour that's bothering me. :(

Rabbit's urine colour varies from yellow, to orange, all the way to red.

It can be affected by the foods they eat, their hydration levels and also how long the wee has been sitting.

The times to worry are if it is sludgey and gritty, or if there are strings of blood in it (this will look very different from red wee).

This is out of the book "Rabbit Production" (eighth edition) by McNitt/Patton/Lukefahr/Cheeke.

Rabbit urine ie somewhat unusual compared to that of other livestock. It often contains large amounts of calcium carbonate or calcium oxalate, which forms deposits on cages, walls and floors. A rabbit absorbs calcium efficiently and excretes the excess mainly in the urine. A red coloration of the urine may be seen. This seems to be a normal phenomenon in the rabbit and does not indicate a disease problem. The pigment is especially apparent when the urine is alkaline. Certain types of feeds, such as alfalfa and Leucaena, seem to increase the intensity of the pigmentation of the urine. The pigment has not been identified but is most likely a porphyrin. It might be derived from phenolic compounds (tannins), which many forages and feed ingredients contain."

You can also reference the RO Lagomorph Library : Urinary Problems

You shouldn't worry about the orangepigmentation in the urine. As Flashy and BlueGiants told you it's normal. If you vary your bunny's diet, you'll see the color changing. By the way, a cause of concern in the looks of rabbit urine, apart from the chalk-like or paste-like substance in the urine (=sludge)is also a complete lack of coloration and/or thickness, i.e. when the urine resembles pure water. This is a sign of serious kidney damage.

Marietta

Latest posts

Back