orangish tint to a black coat..Moult?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loppalove

Reaction score
My new black english lop buck has a orangish tint to his hind end area, and on his rib cage. I would like to enter him in an upcoming show, but obviously need to get rid of this dead hair. I have tried and tried to brush it out, no avail. Any suggestions? Also, is this normal for a moulting coat to have this orangish tint to it?

He is really lovely, and I realllly want to show him in a couple weeks, but am affraid i wont be able to get rid of it..

Logan

His hair has most likely been sun-burned. I had a black English Doe with the same thing. It just happens when they are in the sun too much, and even sometimes if they aren't in the sun that much. It will go away when he moults.

You can still show him, he will just get a fault for the orangish coloring.

BSAR wrote:
His hair has most likely been sun-burned. I had a black English Doe with the same thing. It just happens when they are in the sun too much, and even sometimes if they aren't in the sun that much. It will go away when he moults.

+1

I also asked a judge i know about sunfading and he said its also possible when rabbits lay in the urine on the cage floor can also cause discoloring

woahlookitsme wrote:
BSAR wrote:

+1

I also asked a judge i know about sunfading and he said its also possible when rabbits lay in the urine on the cage floor can also cause discoloring
ewwww! i hope its not from urine, but now that i think about it, the rabbitry he comes from is indoors, so im not sure how he would have gotten sunburnt, maybe it is from urine...well either way he is not in urine or sunshine now, so hopefully it will molt molt molt away...:highfive:

i would just let it pass. a nice shiny coat will come in its place.

people always tell me when they're molting not to pull it just let it fall. and keep brushing.

I've got a black holland doe that does that, she gets chocolate/orangeish spots and it usually signifies a molt coming soon. I still show her anyway, so long as she hasn't started to molt. a few judges have over looked the sunburn some.

loppalove wrote:
Hi! Thanks for your response, if he would be faulted i probably wont show him, ill just wait for it to moult out, drats!:grumpy:
Well, ya gotta remember that faults are not DQ's. (disqualifying characteristics.) Particularly with a rabbit that is not a "fur" rabbit (bred for very specific fur qualities, where that is their major "thing"), the coat does not count for all that many points.

With an e-lop, obviously one of the most important factor is their ear characteristics (length, width, fur covering, etc.) Show your bunny! It will be a lot of fun, and you will hear the judge say many other useful things about the rabbit.

Exactly what wabbitmom said. He is still showable, I wouldn't have said he is showable if he would get a disqualification.

You may want to take him anyway as it can be months before he moults and once he does that it could last for a couple weeks. And moulting is also a fault.

Latest posts

Back