Orange sticky pee

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eden

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is pee or not but it has dried with a light orangish tint to it. It has dried on the carpet now. My mom said when she was cleaning her area there was some orange sludge stuff a couple of days ago. She is about 3-4 months. Is eating and drinking a lot and eats parsley, cilantro, romaine (on occasion, just a pinch) unlimited hay, and Oxbow "young rabbit" pellets. She is active and seems okay. I've heard some bunnies have orange pee, should I be worried?

It shouldn't be anything to worry about. If the pee is coming out orange, it can be because of different foods in the diet. If it just turns orange later, that's normal. The thing more concerning would be the pee being sludge like. If it is coming out of your bunny that way, then that is a concern. It usually has to do with a rabbits diet, like too much calcium causing the pee to be sludge like, and your rabbit being predisposed to having those kind of problems. But with your rabbit being so young, I wouldn't think that it should be having a problem like this. You'll want to check and make sure that right when your rabbit pees, there's not sludge, and that it may be that after the pee puddle, has been sitting for a while and drying out, that it is getting thicker and looking sludge like, and more sticky. This would be a normal thing to happen as the pee sits there drying.

Rabbit urine can vary from almost clear to a dark orangeish red because of the way they process the carotenoids in their food (believe it or not, those leafy greens are full of red and orange color compounds). They also process calcium differently than we do and then excrete it in their urine. Some bunnies end up with bladder sludge where it's almost like sand, but a little chalky portion in dried urine is normal.

Latest posts

Back