Orange Pee, not dire, but concerned

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fancy77

Reaction score
On Sat. night Milly my 1 ish lbs Hotot was peeing orange. I checked into other postings, and I was not at all concerned. BUT now she is spraying it all over. Jay Jay is in a cage next to her, and he had orange pee spots in his ears, it was kind funny since his ears are so big. But back to the point. Now she has long soft poops (is that diarrhea) they will stick to the floor and I had to take a putty knife to get them off. Orange pee is all over the walls, and floor. It reeks in the bun room so last night I separated her and put her in another room and well she still smells, but some of the smell can b attributed to Jay Jay (I dont know why, maybe that is his normal oder)

But the funny thing is, is that she is still eating (pellets and hay, and oats) and drinking . Last night I gave her some cranberrys as I saw this as a suggestion in another thread. The worst part 4 me is that she will roll in the orange pee, so I have a white and orange spotted Hotot. I did give her a bath last night bcuz she has orange ALL over. After her bath she made funny squeaking noises...reminded me of a GP. and she was shivering. I sat with her with a towel and a blanket then I took a blow dryer to her that seemed to help a bit. She seems fine...attitude wise I mean, but not sure what to do if anything. I did order some Bene-bac and syringes but that will b a bit b4 they come in.

Thx in advance

Boy, I sure can make a long story even longer lol

Orange is a normal color for pee. Spraying is caused by being hormonal, as is rolling in pee, especially since she's housed next to to a boy. Is she spayed?

A bladder infection will cause them to be incontinent, perhaps dribbling pee on themselves, and the blood in urine will look more like swirls of blood than an overall color change. Cranberry never hurts, unless they're very highly sweetened, like craisins, though.

I think the shaking and squeaking was from being cold. I'd avoid giving her baths for a while, or if you do, dry her off very well and keep her out of drafts until she's dry. If she doesn't mind the hair dryer's noise, it's fine to use that on her to get her dry.

However, to be honest I'd just wait to give her another bath until after she's spayed. It sounds like puberty has hit, and hit hard. It seems like bunnies can develop hormonal behaviors almost overnight once they hit a certain age.

tonyshuman wrote:
Orange is a normal color for pee. Spraying is caused by being hormonal, as is rolling in pee, especially since she's housed next to to a boy. Is she spayed?

Milly is 3 months old so maybe hormones is what it is, and my Boy is 12 weeks old

A bladder infection will cause them to be incontinent, perhaps dribbling pee on themselves, and the blood in urine will look more like swirls of blood than an overall color change. Cranberry never hurts, unless they're very highly sweetened, like craisins, though.

No I dont think its incontinence or blood, that's why after I read the threads on pee color I wasnt worried, And as for the cranberries they are organic and unsweetened.

I think the shaking and squeaking was from being cold. I'd avoid giving her baths for a while, or if you do, dry her off very well and keep her out of drafts until she's dry. If she doesn't mind the hair dryer's noise, it's fine to use that on her to get her dry.

I thought that same thing, she was just cold but I got a bit paranoid bcuz I never heard that b4...no problems with the blow dryer I just wanted her to get warm fast. I am not a fan of giving rabbits baths but her feet were stained orange, as well as streaks and spots from tip to toe

However, to be honest I'd just wait to give her another bath until after she's spayed. It sounds like puberty has hit, and hit hard. It seems like bunnies can develop hormonal behaviors almost overnight once they hit a certain age.
I will go with the hormones :) thx so much!!!!! even her poop is inconsistent some soft and some hard and normal...it was all just odd ya know

Inconsistent poo is a bit worrying though. Does she eat well? Is it uneaten cecals? Does she get lots of hay? I've heard too many stories (particularly lately) of young bunnies getting really sick with diarrhea.

It could be oats, since they're pretty high in carbohydrates and can cause runny poos in some bunnies.

Latest posts

Back