Orange Mucus in rabbit poo

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moshimoud112

Reaction score
Hi I wonder if anyone can help my rabbit is 2 years old she’s had some dental issues since she was about 1 she’s currently on metacam for pain relief with her teethbut she’s a very happy energetic rabbit the majority of the time, today she’s been really energetic eating all her pellets and vegetables and doing healthy poos but just now in one of her poos was a orange mucus it was like a circular little ball of orange mucus , she’s had mucus In her poo in the past but it’s always been clear not orange, does anybody know what this is please? thank you.

Have you introduced anything new into her diet or made any changes? Has she recently had GI stasis, or is she prone to digestive issues at all? Any recent dental procedures?

Have you introduced anything new into her diet or made any changes? Has she recently had GI stasis, or is she prone to digestive issues at all? Any recent dental procedures?
Hi thank you for your reply yesterday she had quite a lot of carrot which I haven’t give her in a while and I actually introduced her to pak choi too which she’s never tried before so maybe that may be the issue, she’s been very energetic today and ate all her pellets every time I’m near her she’s running up to me to see what vegetables I’ve brung as per usual! All her poos have been normal and healthy today apart from that one i See, then there was the tiniest bit of mucus in another one, after that she done some more normal poos. She’s had no dental procedures so far but she goes to the vet quite a lot due to her teeth issues. So I’m not quiet sure what it is as she seems fine, I know rabbits are incredibly good at hiding things but she genuinely seems fine in herself, it may be due to me giving her the pak Choi she’s never had before and carrot that I haven’t given her in a while ?

Mucous occurs from irritation to the digestive tract. This can occur after a bout of GI stasis, from intestinal parasites, pathogenic bacteria disrupting the microflora, cecal impaction, a new food introduced too quickly into the diet or too much consumed (especially high sugar/starch foods), if a rabbit is sensitive to a particular food, or when excess sugars and not enough fiber is consumed it can risk disrupting the balance of microflora and cause an overgrowth of harmful bacteria resulting in digestive upset.

Medirabbit: bacterial and mucoid enteritis, enterotoxemia

https://bunssb.org/bunnies/guide-bunny-poops
With the mucous being orange colored and a lot of carrot being suddenly introduced into the diet just recently, I would suspect that was the cause of digestive irritation. Hopefully it was a temporary thing and it doesn't cause any further upset. But if there are no other diet changes and the mucous persists or worsens, I'd recommend contacting your knowledgeable rabbit vet right away. There are some instances of mucous in the poop that are considered an emergency situation.

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Veterinary_emergencies
For future food introduction, I'd recommend always introducing new foods into the diet gradually and one at a time, including ones that your bun has had in the past but not within the past week. A gradual introduction allows the gut microflora to adapt to processing the new food, and helps minimize the risks of digestive upset. Gradually introducing one food at a time also helps you to know if your rabbit is sensitive to a particular food.

https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/greens--veggies.html

Latest posts

Back