Opinions please- contrasting vet views :/

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcottonl02

Reaction score
So you all know Benji's incisor problems- been going on for over a year now and not really getting any better. They are now twisting.

I've pretty much come to terms with eventually taking them out.

I live in London now so I go to a new vets- they are really great. My vet said she can now see molar spurs on the right hand side, so it's best to do the incisor removal, and remove the molar spurs in one go, and I can either do it before or after xmas, whichever is easiest. But soonish. Obviously. I am abroad between the 29th and the 13th so was going to book it for the week I was back, so I can keep a good eye on him for a while afterwards.

But I went to get his incisors trimmed (as normal) at my normal vets in wokingham where I have been for 5 years of Benji's life. It was a new vet. Never seen her before. Firstly I told her about the molar spurs. She looked and said they need to be done. She then took Benji away and tried to trim his incisors. Never had a problem before. I have sometimes been there with him, holding him and he's good as gold. No other vets have ever had a problem. She came back 20 mins later and said that he was too stressed and struggled so she could barely take ANY off. SHe didn't charge me though.
Then I asked her if I could wait for the surgery and she basically said no. She said the molars need to be done NOW. But Benji has NO watery eyes and can eat fine. He deosn't seem to be in pain and is being totally normal. Fighting me out the way to get to his food bowl as usual and scoffing his veggies. She also said that becaues of the danger of being under long anasthetic she wants to do his molars next week, and then remove the incisors another time.

So I have been told two things:

1) I can wait until jan for the dental surgery- all in one go.

2) I have to do the molars now, and she wants to do two diff surgeries because its the length of time he will be under that will be bad.

Any advice?

His eyes are FINE like I said. And he is eating fine. How long do molar spurs grow- very rapidly? They were noticed a month ago I'd say. And nothing about him has changed since then. Do you think I can wait until the 13th of jan?

What about doing it all at once or not?

I'm so concerned.

I want to leave it till Jan because we'll be back in London in his usual home, and I'll be able to be with him 24/7 for as long as he needs. Whereas here, my parents hate the fluff and so it's so wonderful they have even let me have him inside for xmas, because they think it's too cold THANK GOD cos it is. So he's in a BIG dog crate and obviously gets cuddles but I'd rather have him with me all the time. And I go abroad on the 29th. Also I need to earn the money because it's been proper tight the last few months cos it took me ages to find a job. Jan would be perfect but ONLY if he can wait that long. Which vet do I believe???

How long is recovery?

HELP

Thanks

Jenny

Breed: Holland Lop

Unusual behaviours: None (except attacking his new ball but he's odd like that lol)

Eating/drinking/pooping: All find. Greedy little munchkin. OH- makes squeaky noises when he drinks and also gulps. Never heard it before cos he always had a bottle. Now he has a bowl. Odd? He does it every time and seems fine after. Just gulpy squeaky creaky noises and slurpy noises. Pooping fine and using his litter tray.

We used to take Stewart in every other month for trim and spur work. They'd put him out, do it really quick, and we were done. Thankfully, we never had to do extractions on the little guy. I'm paranoid and always have checked around.

Yes, I'd go with the London vet, both because that's where you'll be getting his care now & because the home-town vet couldn't do what other vets had no trouble with.

Thanks to those of you who did post. I really appreciate it. Tbh I was hoping for more posts of advice because I really am in way over my head here but never mind.

I rang the vets for more advice and turns out my favourite vet has left. This new one has taken her place and is supposed to have the same experience.

I have booked Benji in for a molar trim tomorrow. I think that's just under sedation? And it's not a huge procedure right?

I'm so worried I couldn't sleep last night :/

Jen

Hey j, i believe (BELIEVE) the molar float is just done under sedation. I don't think he needs to be fully under. However, it may still be gas sedation (it's just simpler). When my bun had her teeth done, she was under gas anesthesia, but she was VERY light.

If it makes you feel better, I think you went with the right choice to keep the London doctor, and I don't think doing the molar work now and the incisor work later is a problem :) I definitely agree with your decision to wait until you're going to be around for her recovery from her incisor work!

Latest posts

Back