Opinions on this doe?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Icarus

Reaction score
Toe Socks here is an incorrect (brown eyes) Blue Broken doe. I was trying to get my bunnies set up (failed miserably on most :D) and after reviewing the pics, realized how much I like her! I'm seriously considering putting her into my BEW program for a few litters, but, wanted opinions first.
She's not really correct in how she's sitting, she sort of listed over to the side and her feet aren't proper.

socks3.jpg

socks2.jpg

socks1.jpg

socks4.jpg

What breed of rabbit is this supposed to be again? You're mentioning BEW, and it is confusing me a little.

lelanatty wrote:
What breed of rabbit is this supposed to be again? You're mentioning BEW, and it is confusing me a little.

Sorry! She's a Chinchilla (commercial) x Flemish. Seller had a whole load of meat rabbits there-mainly New ZealandxFlemish crosses. Massive bunnies. I picked her because she was pretty, to be honest with you, and I figured Hops might need a friend.

I gotta weigh her tomorrow, but I'm guesstimating she's in the 7-8lb range. Max 10lbs. She's really 'meaty' with lovely fur, very snuggly girl.

For a pet she's perfect. She doesnt look meaty she looks boney like a flemish.

When you put BEW you mean Blue Eyed White? Because I'm not seeing in the least how she is going to help.

AndersonsRabbits wrote:
For a pet she's perfect. She doesnt look meaty she looks boney like a flemish.

When you put BEW you mean Blue Eyed White? Because I'm not seeing in the least how she is going to help.

I'm considering using her as a body-type (semi-arched) doe, not because of her color. I have a Blue-Eyed White project going and I prefer the semi-arch type over the compact/commercial type. Wanted opinions on how her conformation is, I'm a bit worried that she's a little too flat in the shoulders.

I realy don't see the point in using her, shes a crossbreed. Sorry didn't mean to sound rude.

Oh, I see. Judging her as a meat-type rabbit, you are correct, her shoulders are very low and she really doesn't have "meat" type.
She really does look like a Flemish though, except that her body is much too short for a flemish, and that comes from the meat breed.

From the first picture, she doesn't appear to have a very good arch either but she is also overposed. If you could try to take another picture where her back feet are further back instead of almost touching her front legs, that would help.
From the third picture, she appears to be very blocky.

T.A Bunnies wrote:
I realy don't see the point in using her, shes a crossbreed. Sorry didn't mean to sound rude.

You didn't sound rude at all :) The reason I'd like to use her is 1) because of her type, and 2) because she has an excellent temperament. Like I said, I have a BEW project going and I'm breeding towards a specific type and color.

Every rabbit breed starts out as a crossbreed :)

lelanatty wrote:
Oh, I see. Judging her as a meat-type rabbit, you are correct, her shoulders are very low and she really doesn't have "meat" type.
She really does look like a Flemish though, except that her body is much too short for a flemish, and that comes from the meat breed.

From the first picture, she doesn't appear to have a very good arch either but she is also overposed. If you could try to take another picture where her back feet are further back instead of almost touching her front legs, that would help.
From the third picture, she appears to be very blocky.

She's surprisingly heavy, an almost 'to easy' of a keeper. I have to watch how much she eats otherwise she's going to get obese in a heartbeat.

I'll try to get her properly posed instead of 'feet to far over and tipping to the side'

What breeds are your BEWs? What do you mean by you have a BEW project going? Is is a meat rabbit BEW project?

If it's just a BEW project, then you don't want any old rabbit that will help. You need to select breed & type first, over colour. ;)

Emily

BlueCamasRabbitry wrote:
What breeds are your BEWs? What do you mean by you have a BEW project going? Is is a meat rabbit BEW project?

If it's just a BEW project, then you don't want any old rabbit that will help. You need to select breed & type first, over colour. ;)

Emily

I'm breeding towards a ONLY BEW rabbit, 5-6.5 lbs, that could be used as a meat rabbit, but more as a show rabbit. My ultimate goal will be to have them accepted by the ARBA. Obviously, this is quite a ways off!
My rabbitry goal is to breed a rabbit with five generations pure BEW with excellent conformation and a good show record.

My current stock is mainly commercial type of mixed origins. Havana, American Chinchilla, etc. I don't have any BEW's yet. I have a senior Vienna buck and junior offspring that I'm keeping, also Viennas. All three have solid, BRIGHT blue eyes. The buck is especially beautiful.

I may just stay with the Commercial type rabbit (since pretty much everyone is commercial type). In order to achieve the semi-arch I would have to crossbreed into Flemishes, which would completely mess with my goal weight. And there aren't any really well bred Flemishes around to begin with.

Just brought home two BIG self-black does that I'm keeping, along with a big, beautiful black buck. That will bring my self-black herd up to four, three does and one buck. Essential for my BEW program. I have two other silver-black bucks I'll be selling, and a black lop I don't know what I'm going to be doing with.

It is my understanding that she would not be considered broken blue - she looks more like a mismarked/sport blue (but I could be wrong).

Brokens usually have a larger percentage of white on their body - something like a minimum of 10% and a maximum of 50% or so? I forget.

TinysMom wrote:
It is my understanding that she would not be considered broken blue - she looks more like a mismarked/sport blue (but I could be wrong).

Brokens usually have a larger percentage of white on their body - something like a minimum of 10% and a maximum of 50% or so? I forget.

Honestly, I dunno! :?

I just call her a 'broken blue' or 'spotted blue' because it's easier xD She does make for a pretty pet, adds a little spice to the herd along with Hops, my tort.

Well - from her front paws and that stripe on her - she appears to carry the vienna gene (which is what causes blue eyed whites when you have that gene from both parents).

if you're wanting basically blue eyed white florida whites, why dont you work with them and beverns? the beverns have the blue eyes, the florida whites the size you're wanting. and they're both meatier then a flemish instead of having the heavily boned body of that rabbit.

I'm not good with teh eye genetics, on which would cancel out which with those two.

Not to mention the Harlequins have blue eyes in their coloring, and often times throw solid white babies. Not showable in the harlie world, but white and blue eyed none the less at times.

and In both my posts, I appologize for coming off as rude.

TinysMom wrote:
Well - from her front paws and that stripe on her - she appears to carry the vienna gene (which is what causes blue eyed whites when you have that gene from both parents).

I put her with my Vienna buck, so we'll just have to see. I have buyers for the kits coming from the three blacks, so another litter isn't going to kill me. If it turns out she's not Vienna, she'll just go back to her 'pet status'.

AndersonsRabbits wrote:
if you're wanting basically blue eyed white florida whites, why dont you work with them and beverns? the beverns have the blue eyes, the florida whites the size you're wanting. and they're both meatier then a flemish instead of having the heavily boned body of that rabbit.

I'm not good with teh eye genetics, on which would cancel out which with those two.

Not to mention the Harlequins have blue eyes in their coloring, and often times throw solid white babies. Not showable in the harlie world, but white and blue eyed none the less at times.

and In both my posts, I appologize for coming off as rude.

The red-eyes in the Flordia's would wreck havoc on my BEW's. REW ancestry causes the blue eyes to go a kind of purpilish color o_O! Otherwise, good point!

I've decided to just stay with the commercial type due to lack of decent Flemishes in the area. It'd be tougher as far as getting the weight to a proper level. I have Toe Socks bred to my buck Charlie Blue, so I'm expecting mainly commercial type kits, hopefully some BEW's.

All I'm seeing is colours...and breeds that your just tossing together in hopes of getting BEWs.

What is the breed going to be called? Will it just be called a Blue Eyed White?

The doe you posted about is indeed Vienna...although it is in my understanding that two Viennas together cannot throw solid BEWs. One must breed a BEW to a VM in order to get VCs, and solid BEWs... Please, genetics whiz! Correct me if I'm wrong...but this is just my understanding. ;)

Emily

BlueCamasRabbitry wrote:
All I'm seeing is colours...and breeds that your just tossing together in hopes of getting BEWs.

What is the breed going to be called? Will it just be called a Blue Eyed White?

The doe you posted about is indeed Vienna...although it is in my understanding that two Viennas together cannot throw solid BEWs. One must breed a BEW to a VM in order to get VCs, and solid BEWs... Please, genetics whiz! Correct me if I'm wrong...but this is just my understanding. ;)

Emily

Normal x Normal = Normal
Normal x Vienna = (in theory) 25% Vienna
Vienna x Vienna = 25% BEW
BEW x Vienna = 50% BEW (if I remember correctly)
BEW x BEW = 100% BEW
BEW x Normal = 100% Carrier (VM and non-marked)

I believe thats about it :)

I haven't been worrying about a breed name, it'll come in time.
Right now I'm worrying about temperament, type, size, and finally, color. I've been spending most of my time eyeballing my bucks and does for temperament, I consider it to be one of the most important aspects of a rabbit. My new does and bucks are finally starting to show their 'true colors'. So far so good, no spazzy, biting, mean, or downright crazy rabbits.
My traumatized girl took a treat from me today-a huge leap for her. She's turning out to have a really cute personality.

VV x VV = 100% VV

VV x Vv = 50% VV, 50% Vv

VV x vv = 100% Vv

Vv x Vv = 25% VV, 50% Vv, 25% vv

Vv x vv = 50% Vv, 50% vv

vv x vv = 100% vv

:rollseyes

I actually agree with lela on this doe as in the doe looks very blocky like you could literally draw a square in her rear (at least i think this is what she means). For commercial breeds you should not be able to see the definition of the loin or spine when viewed from the rear and the sides should be well rounded. Almost like a half moon.

I think that a more correct posing picture should probably be put up to evaluate proper type

found something interesting for you.
http://www.psci.net/haencaoo/bew.html

"The red-eyes in the Flordia's would wreck havoc on my BEW's. REW ancestry causes the blue eyes to go a kind of purpilish color o_O! Otherwise, good point!"
^^ It also kinda refutes this statement

Have you ever thought of importing a Vienna rabbit. It looks like they are a commercial semi arched breed. white fur and blue eyes

Or a Beveren as mentioned before
"Beveren [align=justify] Origin: Beveren, Belgium. Meat & fur producer. One of largest of fur rabbits. Come in light lavender blue, white, glossy, jet black with dark blue under colour, brown & lilac. Also a rare variety called the Pointed Beveren which comes in same colours but has white tipped hairs. Outstanding feature of white variety is its blue eyes. "Mandolin type" body. Excellent pets for small children. Weigh around 8-12 lbs."[/align][align=justify]http://www.jphpk.gov.my/English/rabbits.htm[/align]

Latest posts

Back