Opinions on small mini rex baby?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jess_sully

Reaction score
Hello.
I have been in contact with a mini rex breeder in my state for the last year or so, contemplating and anticipating finally getting another bunny. Well, I've had my heart set on a red buck for a long time, and now I have the option between two siblings, one normal-sized buck (who she said will grow to be around 4 lbs), and one which she described: "is much smaller than the other and will probably top out at 3 lbs."
The litter is about 5 1/2 weeks old right now, so there's no chance that he could be a peanut or anything like that. I'm just wondering if it would be okay to get him? Do you think he could have any health problems from being so small?
I reserved the smaller buck for now (picking him up when he is 7 weeks old, on the 21st), but I can probably change my mind if I let her know soon.
I have a soft spot for runts, that's all :)
Opinions would be greatly appreciated, especially from any mini rex breeders out there.

Three pounds is on the small side for a mini-rex but not unusual. I have bucks that range from 3 lbs all the way to almost 5 lbs. 3 lbs is the minimum you can show and register a mini-rex buck. I doubt that a breeder would sell a peanut and a peanut would not make 3 lbs even if it survived into adult hood which is extremely unlikely.

Good Luck with your new bunny

Roger

I also have 3 - 3.5 lbs bucks. I like a smaller buck for breeding to my larger does. Are you going to show him? Breed him?

I have not had any health issues with the smaller boys. True Peanuts don't survive to grow to 3 lbs. As long as the breeder says he's healthy and growing, I'd take the smaller one too!

Thanks for the reassurance, I think I'll just stick with the smaller buck.
I emailed the breeder again to make sure he is healthy and thriving, but I doubt she would have tattooed him and offered him for sale if he wasn't, she is one of the most accommodating and responsible people I've met in the bunny world.
I am only allowed (it's strictly written on my lease) ONE housebunny, so he won't be bred and probably won't be shown either... he is show quality though, she said he has nice, dense fur and a great body type.

I strarted out with two pet bunnies for the kids and look at me now with a barn full LOL. I look forward to the next show and to show my rabbits and see friends. If you take that bunny to one show you will be hooked, trust me.

Roger

BlueGiants: Oh, don't worry, there will be pictures... lots and lots of pictures :biggrin2:

RAL Rabbitry: Well, at least I know I can't get addicted for at least the next three years, unless I want my housemates and landlady to kick me out, hehe.

You can show one bunny... you don't have to breed or have babies... It is addictive! And I have the greatest friends at rabbit shows... (OK.. no one else understands my addition to bunnies... but still they are great friends!)

Hey Jess, congrats!

What about going there and meeting them and deciding which personality you like better? Ive seen so many bunnies not work out in a home because the owner bought them based on looks and not personality. Just a suggestion. ;)

I love minirexes, they are such a unique breed. :)

Haley,
This is true. I just have to reserve one or the other in case one is taken by someone else. I was actually pretty close to adopting a dutch, but THEN my landlady and housemate (who has rabbit allergies) decided to be difficult and put stipulations on the bunny agreement in the lease that 1) the bunny had to be a baby at the time of move-in, and 2) it had to be a mini rex, for allergy reasons.
GOTTA LOVE THOSE LEASES :p
gosh.

Latest posts

Back