Opinions on organic greens

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What type of greens do you feed your rabbit?

• Organic

• Non-Organic

• Both

Results are only viewable after voting.

Myia09

Reaction score
Hey guys. I have always fed my rabbits organic greens, because I feel they are safer. Often I have found they are fresher in my stores, and stay fresh longer in my house.

I have always been concerned about chemicals or bacteria on the lettuce/herbs/greens. I know you can really wash them well, but it doesn't seem quite the same.

This is especially hard on me since Pinball had unexpected seizures and passed away...and I had fed him non-organic buy thoroughly washed greens that night. (Cause of death was never determined, I also spayed fabreeze on my bed that night too) so maybe I am just paranoid.

What are your opinions on this? Do you feed organic or non organic? Had anyone had any problems with non-organic food?

My mom buys most of are foods organic. Yet she doest care to recycle, anyways. We give her the ends of the lettuces and stuff. I do notice the organic stuff lasts longer also. I do buy herbs and carrots for her though. I don't want her to only get the scraps. I got a job so i can spend more money on her. Just as well get the fancy organic stuff with that pay check.

I feed non-organic because I don't have much money. But once I do have a bit more money I'm definitely going to buy nearly all organic food for myself and the rabbits/guinea pigs, even though it's more expensive, it's so much better for the environment, tastes better, and has got to be healthier (I think so anyway).

Also after seeing organic meat farms, and how happy the animals are, I want to support organic farming, even though I'm vegan . . . if that makes sense :)

I'm slowly introducing organic foods more and more into the household. I think it's nice to go back to basics as much as we can. Personally, anything closest to homegrown and natural is what I want for my family. :)I hope I have understood properly what they mean by organic food :p

*I put 'both' because I think it might be hard to find everything I want. :)

I put both. Our property is pesticide/herbicide free, and I often pick greens for our buns from it or provide grazing. The greens I buy are not organic - I simply don't have the budget for it - and the greens we get for free are not organic either.

I use both, depends on finances. I grow organic and buy it when I can. As already stated, I can't always find what I want in organic. I did find a great source of organic dandilion greens for winter though!

Personally I would prefer organic, but we don't have a huge selection of them at our local store and it would cost a fortune (we already spend $15-20 per week and organic would take that to $30 probably). In the summer I try to shop farmer's markets and when we have a house I hope to grow as much as I can.

Back