Opinions on Lionheads.. Please! (and more)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bhoffman

Reaction score
So, as most of you know, I already have started to breed mini rex rabbits and it is going really well. Well, the opportunity has come up for me to get a lionhead doe (I already have a lionhead buck!). Both are really nice looking rabbits.

What are your opinions on lion heads? I am not for sure going to breed them, as I do not know a lot about lion heads, but will be doing some more reading on them etc.

I know that the market in every area is different, but if you are a Lion head breeder, how is it going for you? For me the breeding will be for pets since we do not have shows around here ( :( ). Of course before I decide to breed Lion Heads, I will run an ad to be sure I have interest for them.

Another question: When you breed your rabbits, when do you find is the best time of year to sell?

Thanks for ANY advice you can give me! :) I am open to suggestions as well!

So, as most of you know, I already have started to breed mini rex rabbits and it is going really well. Well, the opportunity has come up for me to get a lionhead doe (I already have a lionhead buck!). Both are really nice looking rabbits.

What are your opinions on lion heads? I am not for sure going to breed them, as I do not know a lot about lion heads, but will be doing some more reading on them etc.

I know that the market in every area is different, but if you are a Lion head breeder, how is it going for you? For me the breeding will be for pets since we do not have shows around here ( :( ). Of course before I decide to breed Lion Heads, I will run an ad to be sure I have interest for them.

My own opinion? Go slow. Focus on the varieties that are either already approved (there are only two: tort and ruby-eyed-white) or that are in serious development, and tell your buyers the status of the breed.

Don't breed or sell junk.

If in doubt, DON'T do it.
Sorry to be blunt about it.

Another question: When you breed your rabbits, when do you find is the best time of year to sell?

Thanks for ANY advice you can give me! :) I am open to suggestions as well!

Nowhere near Christmas or Easter. You will get a bunch of dimwits wanting "a bunnnnnnnneh for mah keeedz" and that wabbit will be dead in six weeks. Don't do it.

Agreed that most selling tries to happen at Easter and Christmas. I try not to sell around those times but April is sometimes not always successful with that as my show string has now grown and I know by then what I do and do not want to keep. I rarely sell to pet people but those are the times where demand is high. If you sell around those times I would ask many questions. Make sure the buyers understand what is involved and be very thorough to weed out those dimwits lol.

I agree with raising what is currently in the working standard in case you do get show interest. Also make sure they understand how to groom a lionhead. I hate seeing mats because they are so easily avoidable. From a showing standpoint I have grown to not like lionhead a. Everyone wants them for pets (which is good for you) and people have yet to come together about what they want them to look like (although the consensus has changed and come together slightly). I personally always look for show quality but you don't have to.

I'm not much help here since I don't breed and therefore can't offer you advice in that department... but my opinion on lionheads is "squee!!" :D

personally, I love my little harlequin lionhead, but The Turtle has a good point about focusing on the types that are approved or on their way to being approved so that you have more to sell to than just the pet market (which is a bit dubious).

Thanks everyone! I havent made up my mind on what to do with this one yet.. I have spoken for her though.. as I really like her. Whether I breed her or not decided yet. Either way, she will be loved here. :) I have the grooming part down pat as I have a lion head buck already. He is so cute. No mats here! :) I hate seeing that as well.

Just wanted to get everyones opinions! Thanks very much!

When my Lionhead doe had 8 babies, I thought I'd have trouble selling them. But in the first few days, I got 4 sold to great homes! I posted on Hoobly. In my area, pet market is HUGE. Most of the people that come to me want a pet that's not from a petstore. Plus, I sell small kits with hay, feed, bedding, a water bottle, litter box, etc that's actually good quality. I do do check-ins with the owners and they've all been happy! Even though I don't have a website, people send me testimonials lol...

I know i am kind of late on this post lol But i love my lionheads! Personally i ignore the standard to a point as it changes so much! I breed them to stay 3 pounds or under with under 3 inch ears. The biggest DQ out their is a brake in mane, above the front leg. I do breed for show. I have no problem selling my pet quality and no problem selling my show/brood quality.

Yeah, i'm a little late too, but I LOVE lionheads! They are such a fun, unique breed! Can you post pics of the lionhead doe you're getting Brianne?

In Canada she doesn't have shows around her area so these will most likely be for pets. But I think we all advise to try and stay within the working standard for them in case she does get people wanting to show

That's what I would say too, stick as close to the SOP as possible-even if you are intending for the pet market only- just for the sake of possibly getting some show people. I'd also keep some kind of record of all your babies too- I'd tattoo them anyway even on a pet market for record keeping

I hate to be the downer, but whether there are shows or not, animals shouldn't be bred with no regard for the standard of the breed. Standards ensure that the animals we're producing are healthier and stronger overall. In any breeding program, conformation should be a consideration.

Just think of dogs. Most of the puppies being advertised all over were not bred for show, they were bred for pets. In those cases, it's not uncommon for the dog to have underlying health concerns or be of a greater risk for something like joint or hip issues. Of course, some breeds struggle with those concerns as a whole, but the goal of reputable breeding programs is to lessen or completely eliminate poor conformation or problematic characteristics. Rabbits are the same.

Whether or not you take on another breed for production purposes is entirely up to you! :) But definitely seek breeding stock that closely adheres to the working standard and keep those characteristics in mind as you set goals for your program. The benefit of breeding to a consistent set of specifications reaches far beyond creating an animal that will catch a judge's eye. :)

While we do not have shows here, and I am breeding as pets, I would like to keep my rabbits and kits as close to standard as I possible can. I want to be able to sell healthy and great quality animals, which is why I have decided to hold off on breeding lion heads! I do not know enough about the breed to breed them. I did pick up that lion head doe but she will be strictly for a pet around our house. I do not want to sell a poor quality animal.

Thanks for all of your opinions on this topic! :)

Latest posts

Back