opinions on eye color

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

memakwed

Reaction score
We have a white purebred lion head. She was born in April this year. I have her pedigree for lineage and to refer to, to try to figure this out. I have an odd predicament. I don't know how to classify her. Her paperwork says REW but maybe BEW. Here's what going on the pupil is more REW the color around the pupil is blue and then it has a red edge. I have looked at countless pics online and she seems to have characteristics of both. Definitely a Blue eye but the redness to the pupil and outside. We haven't shown her yet at ARBA shows only the local 4-H show. She got best in breed and best in show. In the 4-H shows it is more about type of rabbit and then class is by age for example Junior Doe. We did not have to classify her by color. Does anyone have any insight as to how to classify her or have ever come into this situation?

Posting a photo of the eye would be helpful.

Do you know the colours of her parents and even grandparents? It may be that she was a cross between a BEW and a REW, so the eye colour doesn't match either.

I agree a picture would help. BEW and REW are really easy to distinguish between normally. Unless it came out of a REW and BEW pairing (which you are not supposed to do at all). If you do see this in the lineage I would advise against breeding as pet quality rabbits can come out of future crosses. BEWs should only be bred with BEWs and Vienna marked or Vienna carrier rabbits and carriers should always be disclosed to a future buyer.

Basically a blue eyed white rabbit can screw up any other color line creating pet quality rabbits (Vienna marks are not a recognized color in any breed).

I would have loved to post a picture to reference however I am not good at uploading that is why I tried to be descriptive. We don't breed so that's not going to be an issue. I don't think it will be a judging issue since she wasn't disqualified in her last judging. There were rabbits disqualified for various reasons to adhere to ARBA standards so if the eye color was a problem it would have been noted. I just need to know how to classify her for future judging.
thank you though for the insight.

BEWs should only be bred with BEWs and Vienna marked or Vienna carrier rabbits and carriers should always be disclosed to a future buyer.

Basically a blue eyed white rabbit can screw up any other color line creating pet quality rabbits (Vienna marks are not a recognized color in any breed).

Is this merely a colour issue, or are there other genetic/health problems that form as a result of breeding BEW with other colours than viennas?

I love the crazy markings of some of the vienna mix-breeds :p

It sounds like a BEW rabbit. You aren't "supposed to" breed other colors into BEW simply for color reasons. But in most breeds, BEW is so underdeveloped that you have to cross in other colors to get better type on them.

What colors are on the pedigree? I am guessing your rabbit has REW or shaded (sable point, siamese sable) in his recent history. These colors can cause a red cast to the eye, even though the eye is not red.

As far as showing a Lionhead in an ARBA-sanctioned show, BEW would be disqualified simply for color. Lionheads are only recognized in two colors...I think tort and black? That might be incorrect. Anyway, BEW is not a recognized color in the breed.

You're close...tort and REW are approved for Lionheads. If he wasn't disqualified then it may be that any red cast led the judge to not DQ him; however, if he'd taken a closer look at the eye he might've been DQ' d. I'd really like to see a good picture of his eyes.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back