Opinions On Bunnys

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mindy10

Reaction score
Hi I was wondering if you bunny lovers can help me. I just lost my dog. He was 15 years old and i would love to get a bunny. So many people (friends, family) are trying to talk me out of it. They say they smell up your house (the urine stinks) They eat everything in their path (rugs, wires). They poop all over your house. I want one that I can let roam when Im home and then put in his cage when Im not around. I found one of craigs list and she said she is litter trained and is very good with kids (i have a 6 year old thats great with animals. can you please tell me a little experience you have with having a bunny as a pet. Thanks Mindy

Mindy10 wrote:
They say they smell up your house (the urine stinks) They eat everything in their path (rugs, wires). They poop all over your house.
As to smell and pooping, that is certainly true - of rabbits who aren't well kept or who don't feel comfortable. If you treat your rabbit well and give them the opportunity to socialize and keep themselves clean, they are the most wonderful house pets.

When a rabbit is new to a house, he or she may poop everywhere - but that's territory marking, not inability to control themselves. Bunnies may also pee on things to mark them as theirs, especially if they can smell some other rabbit.

You can see onNatasha Rabbitova's blog how when she first came to live with me, Natasha would pee on me all the time, and she'd leave droppings all over the house, too. My first rabbit, Scone MacBunny, had passed away only two months earlier, and Natasha could still smell him all over the house - whoever that other rabbit was, she wanted him to know that this was her house now. Once she settled in, after a few months, Natasha's litter habits have been perfect.

7648_302114_300000001.jpg

Scone came into a rabbit-free house, so he used the litter box from the very start. If they have the option, most rabbits just naturally prefer to use the box. Some rabbits are more hormonally driven than others, but settle into good litter habits after a spay or neuter.

If you use the right litter, and keep the litter box clean, there shouldn't be any smell issue. I put a thick layer of newspaper in the box and cover it with aspen chips. I put a new layer of chips in the box every morning, and empty and wash out the box about once a week. The urine sinks through the wood chip layer and soaks the newspaper, but the chips keep the odor confined. Bunnies like to nibble while they use the litter box, so I always keep a nice pile of fresh timothy hay in the box for Natasha to snack on.

As to chewing, well, to some extent that's true. Rabbits have to chew to keep their teeth worn down, and their instinct is to nibble through any wires they see. The solution is to rabbit-proof any room they're allowed in. Cover any wires, tack them up out of reach, and block off dangerous or sensitive areas. Provide lots of toys to distract the bunny - toilet paper tubes, cardboard boxes, apple twigs or pieces of untreated pine lumber, old phone books - and they'll be less likely to chew something expensive.

7648_111718_250000001.jpg

Rugs, it depends on the bunny - neither Scone nor Natasha bothered the carpet, but I've heard of rabbits who would. Again, you need to block off areas the rabbit wants to chew, or otherwise discourage them. Some people swear by bitter apple spray, others say that their bunny loves the stuff.

Rabbits aren't dogs or cats, they're rabbits. They can be as affectionate as dogs, if you earn their trust - and as independent as cats when they want to be (and quite demanding when they don't). As prey animals, they see the world completely differently than dogs or cats do, and you have to adjust your expectations to match their personality. If you can do that you'll find bunnies to be great pets and very entertaining house companions.

in my short but meaningful life i have had to pet rabbits. my first rabbit named elf i had gotten when i was only two, so im not quite sure what she did but i do know that she always wanted to take control. later when she was six about to turn seven we found out that she had a cancer in her ovary's because we never got her fixed and by the time that we found out it had spread. we decided to put her down and i almost could not believe it:bawl::missyou. then we decided to get a new bunny named Poe a baby black mini Rex that was free except for the cost to get him from new york to Florida. when he finally got home he was not doing anything and he was easy to care for except that he liked to chew things but that is normal for any bunny because when they are chewing they are grinding down their teeth because if you didn't know a bunny's teeth never ever stops growing. so quite honestly i don't think you will worry because the outcome of a bunny is great.

:yes:

p.s. im sorry about your dog because truly i am a dog person and it would be terrible for me mostly to lose my dog.

I have mixed feelings about Rabbits. It really depends on the Rabbit you get, like any other animal they all have different personalities. However getting a rabbit for me was a much bigger change for me then I expected. I was primarily use to Cats and Dogs.

I am a new rabbit owner, have had my Smudge for 4.5 months.

1. Smelling up house/pooping peeing every where: For the first two weeks or so this was true, however, I was able to easily litter train her and now even when roaming outside her cage she will return to her cage to use the litter. I change her litter and wipe down her cage every morning so their is no smell issue either.

2. Chewing is a huge draw back for me. It is really impossible for me to completely rabbit proof my entire living room, the only area she can run free. Even though she is supervised at all times, it just takes that quick washroom break or the talking on your phone for a chewing to take place. This has resulted in an estimated $200 worth of damage (even with tones of chew friendly items available)including.
a) floor boards (now covered with fake plastic fencing),
b) chewed walls (she reaches up past the fencing or gets the corner near the door where I can't put the fencing).
c) Chewed cable cord that was very long and needed replacing.
d) Chewed TV cord, when she got past the blockade and under the TV.
e) Chewed couch, she made a hole and climbed inside the couch, I patched that hole, she ripped through the patch and got under again, it is now re-patched.
f) Chewed edge of Rug.

3. Expense is also a huge draw back for me.
a) Start-up costs as with any animal is a bit pricey for cages. Home made is cheaper but you are still looking at around $100 (homemade), $250 (store bought).
b) Bunny proofing 1 room, Wire covers, blockades, etc. approx $70. Not to mention, regardless of how you do it, it will probably end up looking tacky.
c) Depending out where you live Spay and Neutering can be very pricey to, in my area $365 for Spay, $250 for Neuter.

4. Personality/behavior is also all over the place. My friend has a rabbit that just relaxes, runs and binkies when out, but no chewing, he also loves to be snuggled. Mine spends most of her time trying to chew on anything and everything, does not like to be held, scratches, bites and hisses when you try to pick her up or push her away from whatever she is chewing on. If you end up with a behaviorally challenged bunny like mine people will recommend you get a second rabbit to keep the first one company (= more $ needed). Plus, no guarantee that they will bond or that it will correct the issue.

In short if I had my friends bunny I would be perfectly happy since he is an absolute darling and she did not have to rabbit proof anything. This is what made me want a rabbit hanging out with hers.

What I got was a cute little fuzzy terror. She has her nice moments where she licks my forehead, plays with me and lets me pet her, even lets me place my forehead against hers, but more often then not she stresses me out.

I do not want to sound bitter, just wanted to make sure you heard both sides of the bunny owning story from the well adjusted to the behaviorally challenged.

Rabbits can smell bad, but that is usually due to not cleaning enough, not using and effective litter or having a rabbit that is a bit smellier. I have 5 rabbits in the house and don't really smell anything unless the litter boxes are getting full and even then it is more when I get close to the cages. I do have one rabbit who is an intact male who smells a bit more, but he doesn't use the litter box either. I use wood pellets in the boxes and clean twice a week (one full clean and scrub and one just dumping the poops, hay and scooping the wet stuff).

Rabbits do need to chew things. Their teeth grow all the time and they need to be worn down. This can be accomplished with a good diet (lots of hay) and safe chew toys. However, some rabbits do have a need to chew more than others and will go after anything they can. You do need to hide or protect any wires, put anything you don't want chewed away and rabbit proof the area. You also need to supervise well and stop them from chewing things that should not be chewed. I would also advise not to let the rabbit have too much freedom too fast. Start with the cage for a day or two, then a room that is safe and work up to larger areas. This lets you monitor the rabbit without them being able to do too much damage.

Rabbits do mark territory. This can be done with poops or with urine. Poops are generally more around the edge of their space or in a set area. Urine does depend on the rabbit (some will spray more than others), but it is usually more in a specific area. Litter training and getting them spayed or neutered does make a big difference with this. Not having other rabbits also helps as rabbits tend to mark to communicate to other rabbits. Cleaning well also helps as does blocking off an area for a while to break the habit of peeing/pooping there.

You do need to know what you are getting into with rabbits. Many people think they are inexpensive as they see a rabbit at a pet store for $10 or $20. What they don't see if the cost of the cage (can be $100), accessories ($50 and up), food ($5-30 per month), vet care (hundreds for pretty much anything and it goes up from there). Rabbits can live for 12+ years, so all those costs are spread out and you have to buy things like food and litter on a regular basis. There is also the care needed, the cage needs to be cleaned at least once a week, but more can be better. They need attention and socialization like a dog or cat. They are generally not good pets for kids, but can be good with adult supervision and the adult taking full responsibility. Rabbits should not be gotten on impulse, it should be a decision that is given as much though as a dog or a cat (or any other big purchase).

Each rabbit is different. I have had 9 and no 2 have been the same. I currently have 2 Tan bucks that are both intact and about 4 months difference in age, they are very different rabbits. One is more active, outgoing and hormonal, the other is calmer and reserved with people he doesn't know. They are both still active, but have different personalities. You should do some research into the breeds and they are different. Even if you go for a rescue, mixed breed or something, it is still good to sort of know what you may be getting into with that breed. For example, it is probably not the best idea to get a Netherland Dwarf if you want a cuddly lap bunny, but that does not mean there are not some individuals that may be good for that. If you want an active rabbit, a large or giant breed is probably not the best, but they can still move when they want to. Whenever possible, meet the rabbit before you commit to getting it, you can find that you just don't click with that one.

I have an almost 5 month old netherland dwarf who is an absolute angel. he is an indoor/outdoor rabbit and i have had no trouble at all litter training him. i could not ask for a better little pet. i have a dog, bird and cat also and they all get along. owning a little bunny will definitely change ur life-my rabbit is like a little dog anyway-as soon as u pick him up he smothers u in licks and kisses! please let us know what u decide :)

Thanks everyone for the advice. I was also wondering if one breed is better than the other. One more calmer then the other. One better with kids? thanks again and hippie can I have your little guy!!!

Well, just thought I'd add my thoughts on this topic to the thread.

Bunnies make a great pet. I haen't had huge problems ever with any of my 5 bunnies with chewing etc. HOWEVER: I owuld be very careful and peticular about getting a bunny off of craigslist. How old is it? Check to be sure it seems healthy. THey could be getting rid of it because of some underlying health problem you don't know about. I would be VERY VERY cause about this.

For breeds: I definitly recomend the Holland Lop. They weigh 4 pounds or so, so they are a small bunny. They have a good temperment. They are cuddley, yet also like to run around and can be a bit spunky. i"ve had 3 Holland lops and 2 Mini Rexes. Mini rexs are also a great breed. I prefer the floppy ears so that's why I've had the holland lops. Mini rexs that we've had tend to love getting pet, but don't run around in her so much. Ours have just kinda been blobs who want attention. :) lol

As for litter training, Yes bunnies can be litter trained.

haha mindy10! thats what everyone says lol as soon as someone meets him they want to take him home! good luck x

Latest posts

Back