Ongoing Digestive Issues...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenk

Reaction score
Zoe finished yet another round of Propulsid. Now that she's been off the drug for over 24 hours, her poops are (again) becoming more strange inshape/size/moisture content (rangingfrom too small to too large; round to misshapen; from normal dryness to abnormalmoistness).

She's been ona enzyme/probiotic compoundfor severalweeks, which Ifeed to her on a small amount ofmint leaves. Two days ago, Iran out of mint and gave her a small amount of red-leaf lettuce (at the time she finished the Propulsid). And alreadysome of her poops, whichremain large when on motility drugs, are becoming too small. With my ear pressed to her side, I hearlouder-than-normal digestive activity. If her poops continue with this odd range, I'll be calling the vet (again).

I'm tearing my hair out from stress over Zoe's less-than-responsive digestive tract. She's been to the vet's office a bazillion times in the 10 months that I've had her. What on earth can stop this crazy cycle of GI stasis?

I've read from several sources (and was told by Dr. Dana Krempels) that spotted buns, like Zoe, usually have worse problems if they've barely any spots on their body. But Zoe has a distinctive line of spots down her back.

Thank you,

Jenk

I'm so sorry that Zoe is having troubles. I know how scary digestive problems can be, and what it's like to take your bunny to the vet a bazillion times for the same thing. Have you tried giving her cilantro? I hear that can help unclog bunnies. Has your vet tested her feces for coccidia? :hug: Get better, Zoe!

SnowyShiloh wrote:
I'm so sorry that Zoe is having troubles. I know how scary digestive problems can be, and what it's like to take your bunny to the vet a bazillion times for the same thing. Have you tried giving her cilantro? I hear that can help unclog bunnies. Has your vet tested her feces for coccidia? :hug: Get better, Zoe!
Thanks, SnowyShiloh.

When I say "a bazillion," I mean 20+ visitsin 10 months' time. The vet even joked that Zoe's medical chartis more like a novel (i.e., more than 34 pages in length). Mind you, this vet is veryknowledgeable (and works solely with exotics in terms of conventional medicine); but I think that even he is now stumped by Zoe's repetitive issues.

I wish it were as easy as feeding Zoe cilantro. She's hadstuff as gentle as parsley and mint; but her poops always turn funny eventually.(Her digestive sounds are louder than normal.) Even eating just hay (said to "reset" the digestive system/gut flora) doesn't ensure that Zoe digests/poops normally.

As for tests, she's been through the wringer. Coccidia were not found, per several fecal tests. Although fecal cultures have revealed bacterial imbalances (even an overgrowth of what can be considered a "good" bacteria, Enterococcus).

I love my girls dearly; but I'm thisclose to retracting a statement I made two weeks after we'd brought them home: I'd told my husband that I don't ever again want to live without rabbits. Zoe's ongoing issues started shortly thereafter, and I've been an emotional mess for these 10 months--always fearful that we'll discover that her issue is something more serious, even fatal. :( I wish that I could do the "right" thing (whatever that is) to ease Zoe's discomfort and give her "normal" poops.

Poor Zoe and poor you! I've heard on here to try dandelion greens, they're good for those sensative tummies too, much like Mint;). Worth a try.

As for the gassy sounds, you could always give a dose of Simethecone (baby gas meds) and see if that helps, even if it's not gas, it won't hurt her at all, and if it works, even better!

I hope things look up soon for Zoe;).

AngelnSnuffy wrote:
Poor Zoe and poor you! I've heard on here to try dandelion greens, they're good for those sensative tummies too, much like Mint;). Worth a try.
I really do want to try Zoe on dandelion greens and would've done so long ago if not for the fact that they look horrible at the one store where I can find them (Meijer). I like the store, but I hate how they store their produce (in baskets that don't drain properly, so nasty bacterial-filled sludge forms in them). :( I've tried many times (by going on different days and at different times) to find fresh, good-looking D. greens at that store, to no avail.

Back