ongoing dental problems

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DustBun

Reaction score
My Rabbit Dusty (i've posted before) just had a molar removed last night. It was overgrown and causing bleeding in his gums. I took him to the vet when his pellet and greens intake decreased by about 3/4. He's had horrible teeth problems in the past that have made him stop eating and eventually caused severe anemia. (I almost lost him the last time - i wasn't taking chances this time!)
He's eating very limited pellets and greens now and my question is should i force critical care? if so, how much? How often?
He's on cisapride and metacam.

Dusty's already eating a little bit? That's GREAT!!!!! My Stella had horrible teeth and has gone through numerous surgeries to trim and remove her incisors and molars. I video taped some of the procedures:

http://www.youtube.com/user/FastUpOnRabbitCare

Doesn't sound like you need to force feed him, but I would make a Critical Care mush for him. Take a couple of tablespoons of the Critical Care and add enough water to make it the consistency of oatmeal. Put it in a shallow bowl for him and let him eat it as he wants. If he hates the taste of Critical Care, try adding a dollop of applesauce or banana or something similar to it. You can also use a part Critical Care and part regular pellets mixture to help with the taste. Stella is on 20% Critical Care and 80% powdered pellets (I throw some regular pellets into the blender to make them into a powder). She likes the taste of her regular pellets and still gets the extra nutrition from the Critical Care.

You can also chop up his veggies into very small pieces to help him eat.

It will take Dusty 3 or 4 days to get back to eating normally, but it sounds like he's doing really good, already.

Thanks for the advice - banana in the critical care was a hit! Thats the most he's eaten in two days. I feel a whole lot better seeing him eat like that! You've calmed my nerves a bunch knowing he's on the right track.

That video is amazing - thanks for sharing. I learned so much in those 9 minutes. I think I have some idea what's going on inside this poor little thing's mouth now.

I'm not a fan of the cisapride, especially if he is eating and pooping now. It can cause more trouble than it's worth, and can lead to a bunny that needs cisapride to have a normally functioning GI. As long as he is eating and pooping he probably doesn't need it.

DustBun wrote:
Thanks for the advice - banana in the critical care was a hit! Thats the most he's eaten in two days. I feel a whole lot better seeing him eat like that! You've calmed my nerves a bunch knowing he's on the right track.

That video is amazing - thanks for sharing. I learned so much in those 9 minutes. I think I have some idea what's going on inside this poor little thing's mouth now.
Glad that he is eating, However, go easy on sugary bananas ;you may want to substitute pure canned unseasoned pumpkin instead.

Latest posts

Back