One Way NOT to buy a rabbit!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matsuro

Reaction score
I don't know what to think except "This is NOT the way to buy a rabbit" hence the title of the thread.

One way NOT to buy a rabbit is on a sites like LD (not sure if I canput the acutal name or not), but honestly! What is up with[size="-1"]auction [/size]sites selling animalslike material things?

Or at a church or flea market!

What are some of your "This is NOT the way to buy a rabbit"tips/opinions, etc? I really want to write an article (I was a writerfor my HS's newspaper in Senior year).

I'm not sure about how to NOT buy a rabbit - but let me tell you some of what I think are bad reasons to BUY a rabbit:

a. It's a holiday and I'll give it as a gift.

b. My kids will love one (but you're not willing to supervise them).

c. "Oh...its so cute".

d. I've always wanted a _____ (fill in the breed).There is nothing wrong with wanting a specific breed - BUT - when thatis the ONLY reason you get a rabbit and you don't take time to get toknow that rabbit for its personality...etc. - it is the wrong reason.

Trust me on this one. I wanted a flemish giant - and I took the firstone I could get (and I love Tiny dearly) - but I didn't know that hewas unsocialized. I didn't know it would take months to get him to thepoint where he would trust me. I didn't know how hard it would be.

I was so set on getting a flemish that I just took the first one I could find.

NEVER EVER EVER again!

e. Rabbits are like kids. Don't try to get one just to makeyou "fulfilled" or fill some emptiness. Yes, it is fulfilling havingthem as a pet...and yes - it does fill emptiness. But having a rabbitwon't solve your problems - it will add to them....like...

How do I protect my cords so the rabbit doesn't chew on them?

How do I protect my books so my rabbit doesn't chew them?

How do I keep my rabbit from chewing on my furniture?

(Do we see a theme here?)...

Anyway - just some thoughts on another type of article if you want to try and tackle it.

Peg

True, many people do seem to want to 'meet' you at the supermarket to drop off the animal (not sure about rabbits).

Anyone else want to add anything?

I bought my bunny at a pet store. BUT she wasnot a spur of the moment purchase. She was a gift from my BF, who hadbeen trying to find a rabbit for a few months. I don't think I wouldget my next bunny from a petstore. There is a local animal sanctuaryand I would like to get my next bunny from them.

*Prizes at fairs- you don't see it too much anymore, but sometimes.

I think Peg put it best... get the rabbit for who it is, not what itlooks like. Don't be a breedist! ;)I would have gotten ablack rabbit if I had gone on looks alone. Instead, I chose thefriendly, curious, and smart, chinchilla colored one. I know I made theright choice.:bunnyheart

~Star~

I know of this couple that has a mini rex namedJuliette. Sounds cute. They feel bad for her beingin her cage all the time. I have told the woman that when wemove, I want her. They got her for their daughter who nolonger has interest-I know. They take care of her and talk toher, but because of the stupid dogs, she doesn't get to comeout. Poor baby. I do want her. I talkedto them for awhile and I also found out she's not spayed.She's almost 3:shock::shock:. Dang it. I told herthat she needs to be spayed asap. If she doesn't do itthought, not sure.We need to get the word out onthis for sure!

Latest posts

Back