One Singleton?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weedflemishgiants

Reaction score
My Rose had one singleton about an hour ago. Even though she started pulling fur two hours ago and had a nice nest spot set up for it, she had it on the wire anyway. It was dead as far I could see. I spent quite a bit of time trying to warm it up to no avail. Now an hour is passed and I guess that is all we get.

One singleton, quite large, three days late and dead?

This is her first breeding and the buck's too. I know he was having difficulty trying to figure out which end was up if you get my drift, but still just one?

So now I guess I will have to worry about mastitis.

Funny thing is her dew lap has grown to enormous proportions in the last two weeks. Poor girl.

She did everything just right too. Had just the most beautiful nest.

Wait a little longer. The first one could have been dead (hence leaving it on the wire) and like a plug in the uterine horn. If there areothers, they can come hours later. Have patience, and give her some quiet time.

Oh really? Cause she is still pulling fur.

Okay. I'm shutting the door and leaving her be. It's 4:30 now-I'll check her in three or four hours.

Thank you. This was a real first for me. Usually my does have more babies than I can handle. In fact, a lady in Nevada who bought one of my FG does called me during all this uproar today to tell me the doe had twelve babies today and could I please take a few? LOL.

Okay- I'll wait.

Had one more about two hours ago that is doing fine. Fed and moving. I think that is all we are going to get. I'm having some issues around it- warmth wise. She did not pull enough fur really, so I have lamp going. That will have to do.

If you take some babies from your friends litter of 12, and put them with the singleton, that will help with heat. You want at least three babies to help keep each other warm. I would take 4 babies from your friend, leaving her with 8 and you with 5 in the nest boxes.

Also see if you can gently pluck some more fur from mom. Pull gently on the fur from her tummy. The birthing process/hormones help loosen the fur so it should come out easily with out hurting her.

--Dawn

Dawn-thanks for the advice. I will try to pull more fur. The baby has made it well for twenty four hours. If he can get another two days- we might be out of the woods. I have installed a nestbox heater and a lamp which seems to do well. OUr temps are so extreme that I really have to monitor them. Very cold at night and hot in the day.

I wish I could put him with the mom that has twelve, but they are in Nevada about 4 hundred miles away. LOL I only have two rabbits I have sold recently locally-both bucks. Usually my FGs go to different states just because there are so few where I live.

I have determined in order to save myself grief that with the fall breeding I will breed two does at once just to be on the safe side.

My biggest, most primary concern right now is preventing mastitis in the doe. It would seem that having only one baby to nurse might increase the chances of that occurring. Any suggestions as to actions I can take to stop that from happening?

And if everyone will have a good thought for this poor only baby that would be appreciated. His first coupleof weeks won't be easy.

A doe will produce as much milk as the baby demands. So she should adjust to the demands of her baby. Keep an eye on her breasts, but I wouldn't be overly worried. Make sure all of them are pink and not blue or black.

Monitoring the heat of the baby is good. Once he grows fur he will be able to regulate his own temperature better.

It's a shame your friend is so far away. You could have fostered a few babies over to help keep the singleton warm.

Keep us updated, and you should take some pictures!

--Dawn

I have the ambient heat around him at 80 degrees. I read in England they keep their nests at 80 year round. Just can't get more hair for the poor little thing.

He's got some lungs though. He can really scream when mom leaves the box.

Day 3 yay!!!

I think I might be out of the woods with this little singleton. I still am keeping the nest box at 80 degrees. But he has paper towels in there with him today so I think tonight I might turn off the heat. We will see. I can see his fur growing so.....

One is better than none. I am still wondering though about the judge at the show who palpitated her and said she had a ton of babies in there. Apparently not.

Flemish can be tough to palpitate. I don't know what he thought he was feeling at five days along, but it wasn't a ton of babies, that's for sure.

Here we are on day 4. He is twice the size as he was when he was born. I've never had one grow THIS fast.LOL

And now the yellow ticking is starting to show through. He is definately a sandy.

Good luck with the baby! Can't wait to see any pics!

Only thing I think she is carrying too much white on the tops of the back feet. But it may be too soon to tell. And the rufus factor is not as strong yet as it is on her mother.

weedflemishgiants wrote:
newbaby11days004.jpg

newbaby11days001.jpg

10 Days. Eyes open and it is huge. Think it may be a doe.

This particular line has always been huge anyway. Her greatgrandfather weighed 22lbs when he was registered at 14 months. Her grandmother weighed 18 lbs when she was registered at 11 months. Her name was just Big Sandy.

So big is what this line does anyway. But I think this may be the first singleton in any of the line's litters so she should just be enormous. I'm keeping an eye on her back legs but I have been assured by many FG breeders that splay legs are not a huge worry in FGs.

weedflemishgiants wrote:
weedflemishgiants wrote:
newbaby11days004.jpg

newbaby11days001.jpg

10 Days. Eyes open and it is huge. Think it may be a doe.

This particular line has always been huge anyway. Her greatgrandfather weighed 22lbs when he was registered at 14 months. Her grandmother weighed 18 lbs when she was registered at 11 months. Her name was just Big Sandy.

So big is what this line does anyway. But I think this may be the first singleton in any of the line's litters so she should just be enormous. I'm keeping an eye on her back legs but I have been assured by many FG breeders that splay legs are not a huge worry in FGs.

newbaby11days003.jpg

I added this third picture cause it is from a different angle. It gives a better view of just how big this bunny's head really is. LOL

Latest posts

Back