One more litter box question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LolaGirl

Reaction score
I was able to litter box train Lola here tonight. Still in shock it happened so quickly. lol But how often do you guys change the litter box, daily??? Just from her usingit few hours tonight I'm sitting here and can smell her urine.

Our litter boxes get changed every 2-3 days. One of the litterboxes is for two rabbits. What sort of litter are you using? We use Feline Pine (well, the generic version of it), so mostly it smells like pine. I have had guests to my home comment that it smells "like pets," but I don't notice it anymore. I smell the hay more than the litter/urine.

I change the litter about once every 5 days. I use Yesterdays News almost always for litter and spread 1-2 cups over the top layer every other day, masks odor great. I've never had guests complain or mention about pet odors in my home using this method.

Recently I switched to safe, dried aspen wood shavings to save $2 and now I totally regret it, it sucks odor control-wise compared to yesterdays news. With the wood shavings I'm changing the litter boxes a LOT more often and it makes my living room smell like a barn. Back to YN asap! :(:p

I think if my litter boxes were changed a little more often, there wouldn't be as much odor. But, litter boxes are my husband's chore, and he doesn't like to do it every other day. (I'm on salad duty, he's litter patrol.) I suppose I could nag at him to do it more frequently, but I don't want to be like that. (I nag about enough other things, already!)

Also, all the friends I have who complain about "odor" only have dogs and/or cats, so they notice the different smell. I think they're homes smell icky, but they don't notice the dog/cat smell, where I do.

I use compressed wood pellets, and I change the litter boxes every 2-3 days.

I find it works better than the paper based pellets (like yesterdays news) and is super cheap. I buy mine at the feed store for $4 for a 40 pound bag.

--Dawn

aurora369 wrote:
I use compressed wood pellets, and I change the litter boxes every 2-3 days.

I find it works better than the paper based pellets (like yesterdays news) and is super cheap. I buy mine at the feed store for $4 for a 40 pound bag.

--Dawn

Compressed wood pellets...Would a regular pet store carry it? We don't have any feed stores around.

Some pet stores will carry it, but it will be more expensive than a feed store.

I live in the city, and I take trips out to the country every 3-4 months to stock up on pellets, hay and litter. I could buy all the supplies in the city, but it would cost me 3 to 4 times as much.

Another place to look for compressed wood pellets is in a hardware store. The compressed wood pellets are the same as those used in a pellet stove. Just make sure they are the ones that do not have any fire starter chemicals in them. I used to buy bags of compressed wood pellets at the hardware store for about $6 for a 40 bag, still a good deal.

Look around at the pet stores, and at the hardware stores to see who has the best deal.

--Dawn

BethM wrote:
I think if my litter boxes were changed a little more often, there wouldn't be as much odor.
I have two litter boxes that I switch around during the day, and at night I clean them out. Even if you stir the contents or scoop out the concentrated urine, that should reduce the odor.

Elf has 3 litter boxes in her cage. She has a triangular one on the second shelf, a small litter box between her pet taxi and the third litter box which is a large rectangular one. I find that I need to put her hay in the litter box or she will sit, eat and poop on the floor. The big one generally gets the hay, but I made a mistake this time and put it in the small one between the pet taxi and the big litter box. That means I'm cleaning up poop every few hours on her floor (shop vacs RULE!).

As for cleaning, the kids and I are taking turns. There are three litter boxes. We each clean one litter box a day. Each of us look to see which one is most used that day, clean it, and the next person does it the next day and so on. The floor of the cage is swept up from any stray poos and hay. Elf is also prone to throwing a few poos out of her cage, so we sweep or suck those up with the vacuum daily.

I forgot to add that we also use Yesterday's News. I did use the wood pellets for a while, but I think the odor is less with Yesterday's News. It may be different depending on your bunny's urine and diet. :)

Thank you so much!! I'm going to check our hardware store. Those we do have!! LOL Also will check lowes for this stuff. A bag of YN at petsmart was like $16 yesterday for me. That's just crazy if I can find this stuff cheaper too.

Latest posts

Back