One more lionhead (sorta) in Lionhead Land

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TinysMom

Reaction score
My day started out quiet.....

Enjoying the rabbits I already have....I realized I needed to pick up more hay and calf mana at the feed store.

It was really going to be a simple task. In and out. Pick up some supplies, head to Walmart and head home. You know....your everyday sort of errands...

Right?

WRONG.

No.....I couldn't walk out of the store with just my calf mana and hay. I had to walk out with something else.....

Let me show you...

For those who are wondering - I think those are mule ears and not rabbit ears. But the fur is soft....really soft. Never seen a mule feel so soft....

Anyway - here is the story of our new friend...

When we pulled into the feed store, we immediately saw rabbits outside in the heat. There was a double stack cage with several bunnies on the bottom and this guy on top. Even from the car, it was obvious that he was in heat distress. When we walked into the store, I found the owner (new owner) and told him the rabbits were in distress. To his credit, he did have them pulled out of the heat (sort of) and into the shed like building where they store the feed and hay and stuff. At least he was out of the direct sunlight. He also did have water...although he did not appear to be drinking it.

We got a bottle of cold water and started cooling him off. My biggest concern was cooling down those ears so he could get cool faster. While he did look like he wasn't in as much distress as he originally was in....he still was not doing well.

We also tried to cool down some of the other rabbits.

To be very honest...I found myself torn. I do NOT need another rabbit - especially a single mane CHESTNUT rabbit that is not at all near show quality.

But the more I looked at him and the more I saw the obvious distress on Amy's face at seeing a rabbit in distress....I realized that while I can not save them all - I could save this one.

So we did.

After we got him home - I finally checked and he was a boy.

We are really NOT sure what he is besides 1/2 lionhead. Sometimes I think he's part mini-rex or rex because his fur is soft. Other times I think he's part flemish (let's hope it was mom who was flemmie) when he cocks his head to the side and I think I see some of Tiny's mannerisms in him.

I'm guessing by his actions that he's around 9 weeks old since he doesn't yet display certain parts...but I don't know.

I'm hoping someone who knows breeds better can come on here and help identify him. I'm partly wondering if he is chocolate chestnut as his undercoat looks more brown than black.

And with all that - here is his video..

Enjoy!

I'll upload more photos in a bit....and maybe even another video of him..

Peg

LOL! You guys!! You've got such huuuuge hearts. (Especially Peg!) Always room for one more.

He's an amazing looking little bunny. He almost looks like he's part hare.

I'll ask Pipp if she's ready for a boyfriend. Maybe she'll stop wanting to play with me ALL the time -- or at least when I'm sleeping. ;)

<insert BIG hug here>

sas :biggrin2:

:shock:!

I am in LOVE with this guy! What an awesome looking fella! I personally love the name Eyore for him.. hehe!

You guys must be blind.. he is MEANT for Pebbles!

HE NEEDS YOU, Spring ;).

I think he needs everyone, hahahaha.

He deffinitely needs a REALLY great name. I think I just like names that are VERY different.

ROFLOL

For those who aren't "into" lionheads and know....

a COD is a "certificate of development" with ARBA (American Rabbit Breeders Association)....it is what you register with them to try to get a new breed or a new color of an accepted breed through..

AOV is Any Other Variety - which is basically any color or breed (I think?) that doesn't have a Certificate of Development.

Lionheads are supposed to have small ears - almost like cat ears is the way the breed seems to be going....

Peg

mambo101 wrote:
You need to pull a COD on that AOV.:biggrin2:

I really think he should be Amy's......she's the one who really rescued him even though I'm the one who took him into "custody" so to speak after paying $10 for him....

Seriously, I thought Amy was going to cry (or was crying) about him and I told Art a bit ago, "I was really worried about Amy.."

Art's comment?

"Amy wasn't the one *I* was worried about...."

I guess I was sorta pathetic as I stood there and worked on him and doused him with cold water....

Peg

TinysMom wrote:
I really think he should be Amy's......she's the one who really rescued him even though I'm the one who took him into "custody" so to speak after paying $10 for him....

Seriously, I thought Amy was going to cry (or was crying) about him and I told Art a bit ago, "I was really worried about Amy.."

Art's comment?

I guess I was sorta pathetic as I stood there and worked on him and doused him with cold water....

Peg
That is so sweeeeet. You are both angels! How about that?!

I would love to have him....if only Ryan wouldn't want to kill me :p.

I really was about to cry. I was very afraid for the little guy's life...I just had a bad feeling that putting water on his ears wasn't enough and that he would have died after we left (if we left him there).

Well....now the little guy is safe. He just needs a name :biggrin2:!

TinysMom wrote:

Art's comment?

Peg

Since I know you guys want MORE pictures of those awesome ears...and the rest of that hunking body....

(I took these at the same time)..

Part of me wants to name him "Riley" 'cause compared to what he had before - he's sort of "living the life of Riley" (you may need to be my age to get that). But the thing is.....I don't think I'll be keeping him. I keep looking down at him (Amy made him a pen and of course he's right by MY desk...) and telling myself, "He's only a rescue. I can't keep him. He's only a rescue. He isn't mine."

Uh huh.

That's going over really well with my heart and my head.

I'm getting ready to rehome a bunch of rabbits - probably this weekend (retiring bucks) and I am trying to find an excuse to give Art as to why he can't be rehomed yet (I sort of want to see what he grows up to be like). The only thing I can think of is...."he's not socialized enough yet..".

Anyone else have any suggestions? Amy????

Peg

I could tell Ryan Morgan and the rescue have bonded quite well, then in a few months have them flown to me and...."OOPS....they became unbonded" :biggrin2:.

I though of two names. I am still looking around though:

Alfie or Alfi- "elf power".

Elvin - "elf friend".

TinysMom wrote:
Anyone else have any suggestions? Amy????

Well, Mr. Big Ears was NOT happy to get put in the carrier for bedtime. NOT at all....he scratched me up enough that I told him tomorrow he gets his nails trimmed....

Meanwhile, Drew is looking longingly at his pen and saying, "Can Drew come out to play?"

I told her that she could later on....like TOMORROW...

Just not at the same time he's playing..

Peg

Latest posts

Back