One Eye Is Crusty?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheJadeRabbit

Reaction score
Name: Rikki Tikki Tavi

Color/Breed: Black and White Dutch

Sex:Male

Litter? Purina Yesterday's News

Neutered? No

Diet Rabbit pellets from a local feed store, Timothy Hay Cubes, and the occasional vegetable.

The Problem? One of his eyes, the ring around it is crusty, only place that is crusty. No sneezing, no coughing, or any of that. He is eating and pooping normal. He comes up to door to his cage and greets me. His other eye, nose, ears, paws, and back area is clean like a healthy rabbit. Could he have an allergy to something? Maybe the Yesterday's News? Any recommendations for other litters?

He probably got a little scratch in his eye. is there any active discharge?

Wipe it up and put a little bit of polysporin to keep it moist and ward off infection. Keep a watch on it and if there's no improvment in a few days (or it gets worse), take him to a vet. Worst case scenario is it could be an overgrown molar on that side, but if he's eating normally I doubt it. Check to see if he is favouring that side when he chews. You can also feel his jaw on both sides to see if you can notice any irregularities, but they may not be noticable to you.

May Ialso suggest a few changes in diet. I'm not sure about the cubes but if there is any ingredients in them other than hay you may want to add plain hay to his diet. As well, making veggies a little more available is also a wise choice. Try feeding him some every day, preferably 2 cups per 5 lbs rabbit.

plasticbunny wrote:
He probably got a little scratch in his eye.  is there any active discharge?

Wipe it up and put a little bit of polysporin to keep it moist and ward off infection.  Keep a watch on it and if there's no improvment in a few days (or it gets worse), take him to a vet.  Worst case scenario is it could be an overgrown molar on that side, but if he's eating normally I doubt it.  Check to see if he is favouring that side when he chews.  You can also feel his jaw on both sides to see if you can notice any irregularities, but they may not be noticable to you.

May I also suggest a few changes in diet.  I'm not sure about the cubes but if there is any ingredients in them other than hay you may want to add plain hay to his diet.  As well, making veggies a little more available is also a wise choice.  Try feeding him some every day, preferably 2 cups per 5 lbs rabbit.

No discharge what so ever. He isn't favoring that side either. Just a little crusty, and on the top part of his eyelid. Maybe a scratch or got something in it. The cubes have only two ingredients Sun-Cured Timothy Hay and Sun-Cured Alfalfa hay. Okay I will defiantly offer more veggies.

Just An Update! I have been cleaning his eye with salt water and then doctoring it with neosporin. It is looking GREAT! Still working on getting it cleared up!

Latest posts

Back