One entire water bottle emptied over night

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

melbaby80

Reaction score
So now that my angora has learned how to drink water from the water bottle, she literally emptied it over night. Is this normal? Its not a big water bottle, a normal sized one, my guess is just to get a bigger one to accomodate her thirstiness.

majorv wrote:
You could get a bigger one, but is it possible that it leaks?
It doesn't. The first water bottle I have ever owned that does not leak which is why I know it was her that has emptied it completely over night since domino does not sit at the water bottle all day all night. I do also give her a little water or a couple ice cubes in a bowl before I go to bed to because she was transitioning from the bowl to the water bottle.

Is this more water than she was drinking before? If not, or only a little more, I wouldn't be concerned. If a lot more & not due to any change in the amount of water in the greens you give her, I'd start wondering if her kidneys were ok. But it's probably just her enjoying a new activity.

LakeCondo wrote:
Is this more water than she was drinking before? If not, or only a little more, I wouldn't be concerned. If a lot more & not due to any change in the amount of water in the greens you give her, I'd start wondering if her kidneys were ok. But it's probably just her enjoying a new activity.
She has only been with me for a few days. She eats and drinks great, plays a little but she is not as active as domino. She does eat more greens with me then she did with her breeder so would this be why she drinks more? All the poops I see her do are great and she pee's fine too.

Greens contain moisture, so if anything more greens would mean less water. How old is she? If she's still very young she really shouldn't have greens, just alfalfa pellets & hay.

Greens contain moisture, so if anything more greens would mean less water. How old is she? If she's still very young she really shouldn't have greens, just alfalfa pellets & hay.

Do you have a rough view of the size of the water bottle? A little one for two rabbits goes pretty quickly. My guys have a 1ltr water bottle and it still goes with in 2 days.

My guys have 32oz bottles and with equal greens per day, Mumford empties his in 2-4 days (2 if warmer, 4 if cooler) and sometimes longer if I give a lot of lettuce. Layla seems to not drink *as* much and if she gets daily greens she takes 4-5 days to empty a 32oz bottle. She is about a pound less than him and has less fluff as well.

It could be she's just adapting to her new climate while still wearing a heavy fur coat.

Meeky242 wrote:
Do you have a rough view of the size of the water bottle? A little one for two rabbits goes pretty quickly. My guys have a 1ltr water bottle and it still goes with in 2 days.
Its a small one I think its around 6oz. Domino is 10 weeks and Storm is 9 weeks. They have been good with getting only romaine, green leaf lettuce, bok choy, and celery once a day in addition to tons of hay and pellets. They eat more pellets and hay then anything. The breeder also gave my angora greens so she is not getting anything she hasn't before only she does not get to nibble on lawn here as she use to when she was with the breeder. Again their poops are great, I clean their cage daily and their litter about 2-3 times weekly.

LaylaLop wrote:
My guys have 32oz bottles and with equal greens per day, Mumford empties his in 2-4 days (2 if warmer, 4 if cooler) and sometimes longer if I give a lot of lettuce. Layla seems to not drink *as* much and if she gets daily greens she takes 4-5 days to empty a 32oz bottle. She is about a pound less than him and has less fluff as well.

It could be she's just adapting to her new climate while still wearing a heavy fur coat.
okay then I truly need a bigger one, your water bottle is definitely bigger then the one I have. So true about the fur, I keep the window in their room cracked a bit for some air flow since they both have dense fur and they love ice cubes.

Meeky242 wrote:
I think it has to do with it being to small then, because you and everyone else have larger scale bottles then what I have. Phew. I was worried.

melbaby80 wrote:
Meeky242 wrote:
I think it has to do with it being to small then, because you and everyone else have larger scale bottles then what I have. Phew. I was worried.

I would say so :) Mines about 33oz as well and it takes two normal length furred minilops 2 days to go through that, sometimes more depending on the kind of greens they get :p

By the sounds of it your water bottle is tiny hehe. No one it takes them one dy to go through it! If you go out and get the biggest water bottle you can find you'll be much happier only filling it every 4 days then every night :D

Because if you actually look after the bottle ie clean it out every now and then then there is nothing to worry about. I've been doing that for my rats for over 6 years now and not once have I gotten algae or bacteria in my bottles.

I have a huge dog water bottle I never used lol I guess I can switch to that one. As long as you clean the water bottles weekly algae will not build up. You can store water in containers for months before it goes "bad". Algae needs a lot of other things to grow and it won't grow in only 4 days.

Back