One Bunny or Two? Help!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SweetSassy

Reaction score
My Sweet Sassy passed away. So I'm looking into getting a baby rabbit. But I don't know if I should get one or two? Are they happier with a friend? Can someone help me. I'm new to rabbits. Sassy was my first bunny. So I don't know a whole lot.

Thanks for your help, April:mrsthumper:

So sorry about Sassy. But I'm glad you are getting yourself more buns. I think 2 rabbits are great if they are brought up together and they're the same age. It might be easier to bond but that's just what I have read. I had kirby for 6 months as an adopted adult bun before deciding to get a baby bun to try to bond with him. I have read happy bonded buns live longer together than apart. Even though they haven't bonded yet, my Kirby seems more perked up and engaged with another bunny in the home

Be prepared though. Babies are a handful. I have been exhausted since Toby's arrival. Babies are hyper and squeeze into all kinds of spaces. Rabbitnproofing is a must. Litter box training takes patience. It's unbelievably worth it though because they are so bouncy and loveable.

We're going Saturday to pick out our baby bun. He has plenty, so if we want two. I'd like to get 2 females, I think. (They will be spayed or neutered) He has Mini Lop Dwarf Mix and Netherland Dwarfs. I don't know if I want one of each or 2 Mix if he has 2 females. I have a huge NIC cage for them. I think the only thing I need to bunny proof is my cords. Been reading up on litter box training but I'm not understanding that. I'm leaning toward getting 2. I'll just keep reading up, the next couple days. THANKS! :biggrin2:

Many bunnies are happier with a friend. I recommend going to your humane society or local rescue (search at www.petfinder.com) and telling them what you're interested in, what your family and house is like, etc, and they can help you find a bunny or a pair.

In my readings and experience, many people report that a male-female pair is the most easily bonded.

If you were to get a pair of rescue buns, someone else will have already done the hard work of bonding for you... bonding's not a cakewalk! (Unless you get VERY lucky. and your rabbits hit it off really well)

I went to my Humane Society and adpoted a rabbit. But after I got her home and started working with her, she bit me. Then she kept biting my clothes, etc.... And biting my sons clothes. So unfortunately I had to return her to the shelter. She was the second bunny I've ever had and I didn't kno what to do. I've looked on Petfinders and everything I'm interested in, is so far away. There is nothing close. I would rather find a rabbit at a shelter, but I've had no luck. It's been frustrating. :(

Thanks, April

I must ask, how long did you give the new gal to become adjusted to your home? I would not expect anything but fear for at least a week.

Being taken to new, strange house, new noises, scary car ride, etc. doesn't make for a happy bun.

Were the bites nips, or did she draw blood? Was she scuffling and digging in your clothing, or nipping because she did not want to be held?

Honestly, I would be surprised if she bit/nipped out of aggression. I have a little gal that charged for me and attempted to bite for a week after I got her. That was OK. She simply had to work things out for herself, rather than be pressured in a new environment.

I left her to her own devices, and never pressured her to be held or anything she didn't enjoy.

Thus, from my experiences, rabbits are not always automatically happy wherever they wind up. Like any creature, they need time to acclimatize. If you got her today and have already returned her, it is time to rethink your expectations of a rabbit.

I had Sasha a week. After she bit me on the shoulder(me, crying) and left a bruise, i called the person she was living with last. He works at the Humane Society. He gave me some advise, told me what to do and I did it. She would nip/ bite my clothes. Anyway.... After just losing Sassy a few days before this, I got really emotional(crying) and it got to be too much for me. I said I'm new to bunnies, and I'm learning. I only had Sassy 3 months before she passed. She was my first and only bun.

That's why I'm RO, trying to learn more. Reading peoples experiences. I've been thru Petfinder several times. There is nothing close to me. Nothing else at my Humane Society. Sassy was adopted from a rescue in Michigan.I don't understand why it seems like I'm being giving a hard time. Cause Ilack theconfidence to deal with a biting rabbit? Sorry, but I couldn't chance her biting meagain, or one of my little kids. Sorry if that makes you mad.

I don't fault you for not feeling up to a rabbit that is fearful and biting out of fear at this point as you are mourning the loss of Sassy. That was not the object of my comment... rather, I was trying to express an alternate viewpoint to the situation that you may not have considered.

-->As you didn't mention Sasha's presence in your first post in this thread, it appeared as if you selected her today and sent her back... I am glad you tried for a week.

That's why I ask questions, so that we can all understand the situation more fully.
I don't know if you are ready for another bun or not. You may still be grieving Sassy... There are a number of folks in the Rainbow Bridge section that can help you grieve her loss.

How old are your children?
They may also be mourning Sassy...

I am delighted that you are on RO to learn. You've come to the right place.

Are you still in contact with a local breeder?

I called a breeder who breeds Netherland dwarfs and he breeds his mini lop w/ NDwarf. I was inquirying about the mix. We're suppose to go look Saturday, but haven't decided what to do yet.

Some people find nethies to be high-strung, and with a tendency towards "little dog" syndrome (the whole trying to prove they are big and tough by being aggressive).
However, I have a big ol nethie, and he only gives me lip when it is time to go home. Other than that, he loves to be stroked (not held)

The mini rex are very silly and playful. My mini rex is a delight with his antics.

As for mixing, it doesn't do much to preserve the breed. Responsible breeders tend to stick to one lineage, without crossing.

( However, this may be an accidental litter between a mini-rex and a Nethie - not casting aspersions on the breeder, as I don't know how these little ones came about)

If the rabbits have been handled a lot since they were young, you may have a higher chance of getting one that enjoys being held. However, I don't know that many rabbits that adore being held... rare indeed :)

As for going to look, don't buy if you don't feel compelled at that moment. It can take a long time to get over the loss of a pet. It is OK to take it slow :) Enjoy your visit!

Latest posts

Back