OMG!!!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I had Bella out in her play pen and I set Eli's up about 8 inches away from it. They are not bonded yet because Eli is just a baby and needs to be full grown and neutered before i can officially bond them. Anyway, i turned my back to them to grab my phone and when I turned back around Bella had jumped into Eli's pen!!! She has NEVER jumped over her play pen before. Neither of them did anything and i scooped her up right away. I just had to share :shock::shock:

ldoerr wrote:
Sounds like they want to be together.
Exactly.

bella1013210132 wrote:
They are not bonded yet because Eli is just a baby and needs to be full grown and neutered before i can officially bond them.
Who told you this nonsense?

Rabbits are HIGHLY social creatures. They will bond with just about any mammal for companionship, but even a caring human is a poor substitute for another rabbit. Here's a point of discussion for you: A solitary rabbit is an abused rabbit.

btw, since I assume your girl's been spayed already, you can actually have them together before he's neutered... it'll be more of a pseudo-bond and you'll have to separate them the moment he starts getting hormonal, but they can play together until then and it'll make the real bonding process easier later on. (that's what I'm doing with my two pre-pubescent females - they'll be separated from when the hormones kick in until after they're spayed and then I'll re-bond them but they play, cuddle up together, groom each other, etc. since they aren't hormonal yet)

BunBuns Human wrote:

ldoerr wrote:
Exactly.

bella1013210132 wrote:
They are not bonded yet because Eli is just a baby and needs to be full grown and neutered before i can officially bond them.

Rabbits are HIGHLY social creatures. They will bond with just about any mammal for companionship, but even a caring human is a poor substitute for another rabbit. Here's a point of discussion for you: A solitary rabbit is an abused rabbit.
I wouldn't go that far. A rabbit that is well fed, well caged, gets hours of play time and necessary vet care is not at all being abused just by being housed singly.

BunBuns Human wrote:

ldoerr wrote:
Exactly.

bella1013210132 wrote:

I have to disagree here. I have only one rabbit. He is very happy and is not bonded to another rabbit. You are allowed to have your opinion but I don't feel "abused" is the correct wording here. I, and many others with only one rabbit, take fantastic care of their animals and I feel it is unfair for you to deem these rabbits as "abused" when you have never seen their situations.

BunBuns Human wrote:
A solitary rabbit is an abused rabbit.
Totally agree!!!

I will be giving away our new bunnies soon. I really want to insist that peopleadopt them in couples only. we have 4 total, so 2 go to one owner , 2 to another (we don;t know yet their gender). Do you think it;s a fair request? Any suggestions of how to better pair them (girl + girl, girl + boy, or boy + boy)?

I don't think that is a fair statement. There can be situations where pairs are neglected by the people and in a much worse situation than a solitary bun that gets lots of attention.

I think it really depends on how much time a person spends with their rabbit. For my rabbits I think they tend to be happier having a rabbit companion but abuse is a much too strong of a word to apply. I have to work all day and they would be alone so I worried about lonliness. That has to be ballanced with competition for my attention when I'm home. I have cared for neglected/abused rabbits that are in horrible shape physically and emotionally. It was not just because they were single that they had issues, but generally being ignored by their people.

I have a good friend that has a single rabbit and Harper is very bonded with his human. She spends lots of real quality time with him. He's a very happy, well adjusted rabbit that is in no way abused. Because he has had such great experiences as a single rabbit I think he quite possibly would be jealous and unhappy if a new bun showed up.

Oh, and if Bella is spayed there is no reason why they can't be introduced now. If he humps her and she tollerates it then it is ok for a short time until he can get neutered. Gary humped the daylights out of Becky for a couple weeks until his second testicle descended and we could do his neuter. The spraying was the worst because he loved her to smell like his pee (gross!). She didn't mind as much as I did. They are much happier however since he was fixed and is a polite husbunny now.

Latest posts

Back