omg why me and now

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irishlops

Reaction score
she has snuffles. i think anyway.
i looked at the food. only one rabbit had eaten its share. same with the water.
i said to my self. keep my eyes open. i lifted caramel up and saw she had a runny nose, lots of slaviating and her frount paws had snot and ugh.
but she was fine this morning. im worried about eyore....
is it snuffles????is there any other things it could be?
i said to my mum, and she said shut up and go away... and i dont want her to die. im not really thinking im allowed to see the vet. oh god please help me!!!!!!!!!!
if you need any more info, post it... but i might not be on for long!!
:cry2

Snuffles is one of the most common diseases that strikes domestic rabbits. Almost every rabbit breeder or long-term rabbit owner has dealt with or is at least familiar with this devastating [ disease. This disease is very contagious and can also affect the eyes, ears, and other organs. If detected early, it can be treated, but it can become or fatal if left untreated. This article will help rabbit owners identify, understand the treatment, and prevent snuffles in their own rabbits.[ Snuffles is a general term describing a group of upper respiratory signs. While there can be different causes of these infections, the most common and generally accepted cause of snuffles is infection with the bacteria Pasteurella multocida. There are several different strains of these gram negativebacteria and depending on the strain that infects a particular rabbit, the signs can be either mild or severe. Some strains are commonly found in the nasal tract of rabbits, but may not cause infections unless the animal is stressed or has a suppressed immune The signs of snuffles can be varied, but are usually associated with the upper respiratory tract. Many infected rabbits will initially develop a watery nasal discharge followed by sneezing and then a thick, whitish to yellowish nasal discharge. These infected rabbits will often make a loud snuffling or snoring sound due to the fluid and mucous in their nasal tracts. Because rabbits groom their faces with their front paws, infected rabbits will often have discharge and mats on the inside of their forepaws.]The disease can also travel to their eyes causing twisting of the neck), head shaking, scratching, a head tilt, disorientation, circling, or inability to stand. The infection will sometimes clear up in the nose, but be persistent in the ears. In some severe cases, a rabbit may develop pneumonia or bacteremia (the bacteria enter the bloodstream). In a few cases, abscesses may form under the skin, in joints, or in the internal organs. and a resulting discharge, or it may travel to their ears causing ear infections. These ear infections can then cause 'torticollis' TreatmentSnuffles is generally treated with antibiotics for 14-30 days. Antibiotics commonly used include enrofloxacin (Baytril), ciprofloxacin, and trimethoprim sulfa. Rabbits need beneficial bacteria in their intestine to aid in digestion and they often need to be supplemented with these bacteria during and after antibiotic treatment; therefore, these drugs should only be used under strict veterinary guidance. In severe cases, supportive treatment consisting of fluids and supplemental nutrition may need to be given as well. If the strain of Pasteurella multocida is a mild one and the immune system of the infected rabbit is strong, the symptoms may be mild and the animal will recover without treatment. However, if the strain is aggressive or the animal has a weakened immune response, the disease can be severe, chronic, and even fatal. The goal with treatment is to use an effective antibiotic at the first signs of infection. If the infection goes for days or weeks without treatment, it is likely that it will become chronic and very difficult to eliminate. In most cases, the signs of the disease may disappear, but the bacteria are usually still present, only in smaller numbers. Even in cases that are treated early, some animals will still develop chronic infections in their sinus passages that require long-term treatment, or even lifelong treatment to keep them under control.Snuffles is a very contagious and difficult disease to treat, so prevention plays a very critical role in trying to control and eliminate this disease. Breeders need to take special precautions including strict sanitation and quarantine procedures. For the pet rabbit owner, the best prevention is to select a healthy rabbit. When choosing an animal for purchase, make sure that she is free of all signs of infection, including a runny nose. When choosing a young rabbit, the mother and all the litter mates should also be free of all signs of disease. If you purchase from a breeder, it is also wise to observe all the rabbits on location and make sure snuffles is not present. The disease can be present in the nasal cavities without the rabbit showing any signs of disease, so a healthy-appearing rabbit can still develop signs later if he is stressed. Reducing stress is also very important in helping a rabbit avoid infections and reducing the severity of the disease if he does become infected. Common causes of stress in rabbits include poor nutrition, improper housing, chilling, overcrowding, or aggression from other rabbits. To prevent stress, provide the best possible housing. Offer a variety of fresh vegetables and free choice timothy hay in addition to a properly formulated pelleted diet. Also, avoid letting your rabbit come into contact with other rabbits, particularly if they are sick. Because this disease can be transmitted through secretions on your hands and clothes, be very careful when handling other rabbits, and always wash your hands and clothes after handling a rabbit other than your own.Snuffles is a disease that can have devastating consequences to rabbits. Because it is so contagious and widespread, rabbit owners need to be aware of its signs and seek veterinary attention at the first sign of illness. By understanding the disease and taking precautions against it, rabbit owners can help reduce both the severity and incidence of this disease

ok, so thats some stuf fon it. the discharge is so far clear.
no noises
she seemed to have got it with in 5hours because i only looked out the window at them 5hrs after the firist real pick up and look cheack up.
but i might not have noticed. nothing wrong with ears. i have syrined her a bit of water

Take some deep breaths Elena. How is she acting in herself? Other than not eating, has she been to the toilet or anything? Is she lively?

Could you ask one of your brothers to take you and her to the vet?

Could you maybe take a picture?

Flashy wrote:
Take some deep breaths Elena. How is she acting in herself? Other than not eating, has she been to the toilet or anything? Is she lively?

Could you ask one of your brothers to take you and her to the vet?

Could you maybe take a picture?
ok.
i have cleaned out the litter box, and eyore is locked away in the other part of the hutch. ....thins brings back memories.
ok, so i m=will know it she is pooing/peeing
the vets are all shut. with in a few miles of me... and no emergcancy nos.
ill try and take a picture... but ill have to wait to up load it. i dont knwo where the lead is, or if my brother is in a good mood:p
. right ill ask now if he can help take a picture.
tahnks.

my brother is in a bad mood no chance. why does he have to be a dick head. no one even knows how my life is not even my brother. now my mum is going to let caramel dye just like joesphep fransisi.
god... im loging off. i might be on tomorrow. but i see no point in life anymore if its going to be this crap

Elena, slow down. You don't know she will die. There are things you can do that could help her, but if you log out then you'll miss out on that help.

Maybe your brother will be in a better mood tomorrow and be able to take you then.

Caramel needs you and you need the valuable information RO members have to offer. Please don't log off and leave.

Could it possibly be an issue with her teeth.
The "salivating" (drooling??) comment made me think this.

?Not eating - sore teeth
?Runny nose - tooth root issue, or root putting pressure on the sinuses.

How do her eyes look?

Snuffles is an outdated term to describe any one of a number of problems. A runny nose can be caused by tooth problems, an upper respiratory infection, or allergies. The best thing to do is to have the vet check her, preferably swab the mucus and do a culture and sensitivity test. If there isn't bacteria present in the mucus, it could be tooth problems or allergies. If there are bacteria, the culture and sensitivity test will tell you the best antibiotic to use. It's important to get the right one.

Don't worry, but a runny nose is something a vet needs to deal with.

sorry i was confused last night and all muddled. my monthly is due today so i guess thats why.
anyway. i looked at he...there is nothing wrong!!!!!!!!
i did not imagion it yesterday... im not syure about eatting, but i gave her out some o her favorite fruit and vegies. pooing yes. eyes ok. nose clear. breathing fine.
but she seems insecure.... like scared of some thing i cant see.... cling on to me for daerlife and scratching to be held again???

That sounds like what angieluv said about over heating then.

Where are they housed at the moment? You may need to look at putting something in there to help them cool down, and also getting the air moving if they are in a shed, because shed's get horribly hot in the sun (as you probably know).

i moved them out of the shed at the far side of the fence. about 3 weeks ago... when the sun rises it hits them, but have shade and around 11 o clock the fence shade covers the hutch.... and they get iced bottles and stuff... ill keep an eye on her. and the sun.

The thread I posted in the main forum gives links to the useful pages on here about colling a rabbit, so it might be worth a read :)

lol. i was just there!!!
i have wrte down some more. but to days weather in derry,, is ment to be boiling.. but the coluds cover the whole sky.. and are grey. yay

eith- im going to my friends now soon... bay ill be on later today:coolness: :D

Back