OMG, this is from a UN document

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maomaochiu

Reaction score
I was just browsing the internet searching for bunny stuff, then i came across this one

http://www.fao.org/docrep/T0690E/t0690e0a.htm

it is a United Nations/food and agricultue organization document on bunnies,

Is the picture in the article of handling the rabbit correct????

"To pick up a rabbit put one hand around the bottom of the ears tocontrol the animal and hold the loose skin on the back of the neck. Usethe other hand to take the whole weight of the rabbit"

also, some other words are just hurting...

" Leave the young rabbits with the mother. They can be killed for meat from 3 months of age. "

"Knowing what sex the young rabbits are is important because you may want to keep the does and sell or kill the bucks."

OMG... you cant hold a rabbit like that.ahhhh... you put your hand under the bun by the chest pick it up andput your hand on its shoulders so it doesnt jump. that is a horriblearticle. sounds like anti-bunny lovers.:mad:

Sounds to me more like a person who isbreeding/handling rabbits for food rather than as pets, very sad forthe poor bunnies.....

The description of handling a rabbit wasdesigned for breeders, persons involved in shows, or people working inlabs and other places where rabbits were being handled; at least,that's how it used to be described. I imagine the method is still beingused. The rabbit would be handled with one hand holding the ears tightto the scruff of the neck, and the other hand would support the weightof the rabbit around the rump. Some breeders (where I grew up) wouldthen tuck the rabbit head-first under their arm...this was all toprevent getting kicked or bitten if a rabbit turned out to befrightened, as well as to calm him/her if they were scared. It wasconsidered a safe and humane way of handling rabbits.

I'm not familiar with the method of putting one's hand under the bellyand allowing the hind legs to dangle, as in the second pic. :?

Back