OMG Sheriff has mites

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Myia09

Reaction score
Walking Dandruff anyone?
I am freaking out. I noticed he had dandruff flakes and we were talking about his missing ear hair. I mean, there is only a little tiny bit of white flecks but we saw one moving around for sure.

So I am making a Vet appointment ASAP but what can I do in the meantime?

Is this harmful to James and I? Do we have mites? (Sounds soo stupid but I really don't know)

Should I take Chewbacca in too? I can't see any mites but they have been living closley together.

More importantly, how did this happen? His loss of fur was apparent when we bought him, she told us that just how he was.

We clean everyday and I can't see how he could have gotten it here (He is not been outside, ect) but he lived outside in a barn when he was a baby

Please give me some advice!

What kind of litter do you use? Ideally, all litter should be put into the freezer for 24 hours before being "given" to our pets because lice live on most litters. I learned that from the rat forums. Of course...if you get 40+lbs bags of wood stove pellets like myself...then putting that into the freezer isn't going to work.

As far as I know, at least with rats, lice is species specific....so yes, I would get Chewbacca treated as well because chances are that she has it, too. I was told to use Ivermectin on my rats, but I'm not sure if that can be used for bunnies.

Hopefully someone else with more experience on this will come along (if they haven't already as I've been typing this).

Well I was using Aspen which I know is wrong so I changed to carefresh because I can't find stove pellets

Aspen isn't bad...its cedar and pine that you have to worry about. Have you checked feed stores for a wood pellet bedding made for horse stalls?

You will need to get the buns treated with topical Revolution ( per vet) or possibly ivermection injections.
once the buns are treated you need to wash, disinfect and thoroughly clean the environment of all the buns including toys, towlels, bedding etc.

Mites are often on healthy buns but barely active;; when their immune system get weak or they are stressed often the mites become very active.

Ihave had mites on a bun that never went outside so i couldn't figure it out either.

Mites can be dormant on a healthy bun.

I didn't think mites were white or visible to the naked eye? Makes me wonder if it's lice.

Its definitely lice, lol! Like I said, I have seen them on the rats and thought they were mites, until a vet tech friend on the rat forums pointed a finger to it being lice. I treated the rats with oral Ivermectin and they went away.

I told Myia where she could get wood stove pellets in her area, so I think shes going to go and get a bag. She was using Carefresh, which definitely means its lice because lice harbors in bedding if you do not freeze it for 24 hours.

I would ask for topical Revolution treatment for both bunnies. Ask for a skin scraping if you think it may me lice, although it sounds more like mites to me due to how common mites are on rabbits and that they can cause the walking dandruff condition.

You can vacuum and/or steam clean carpet and upholstery in the bunnies' area as well.

Revolution (selamectin) is better tolerated than ivermectin, which can have some seriously bad reactions in some bunnies. It's like how you can't give ivermectin to collies, but you can't tell by looking at a rabbit how it will react to ivermectin; sometimes it's blue-eyed rabbits, sometimes, albinos, sometimes dutch. I'd treat with Revolution first for that reason and because I think it's mites.

On that link, his "Dandruff" isnt far as bad as shown in the photo.
Like, it is barely noticable. I only noticed it becaue I was in his face kissing him, lol.
Well, I will take him to the vet anyways, his appointment will be tuesday.
Hopefully I can find a good vet near here!

Just called...It can't be until Wendsday but I made it with the University Animal Hosptial.
Fingers crossed.

That's good to hear. Universities usually have really good vets--you may be seen by students at first, then a licenced DVM/their teacher may come in to "check their work", so to say, going over everything and seeing if the student made the right diagnosis. At least that's how it is here. It can be more expensive but they're usually very up-to-date.

Latest posts

Back