OMG Fleas!! Help!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mclovinsmommy

Reaction score
I swear I didnt know this could happen!?! We just recently moved and a guess he got them while being borded? or by sitting outside while we packed boxes? i dunno. But unfortunatly my baby has fleas... I don't know what to do. we bought an over the counter spray but it doesn't seem like its done a thing.we treated all the other animals but poor mclovin is stuck...I know that lavander oil will drive them away, can i put that on him? a flea collar? anything? i feel so bad for him...he's so pretty white and you can somtimes see one. I've treated the carpets and stuff but its not goingt o do anygood if i can't get them off him.

please help! thanks..

I found a website for the sacramento house rabbit association. It says anything with permethrin (sp) in it will cause seazures in cats so not to use it, and also not collars or dust. absolutly no baths... it did say that advantage was approved by vets for rabbit use. How can i double check this before i actually do it. we live in podunk BFE so all the vets around here only do cats and rabbits.

I've been using this:

http://wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com/no_flea.html

to treat my outside bunnies against worms and other little critters.
So far none of my rabbits have had any flea problems.
I also sprinkle it around and under their cages (the cages are 4ft off the ground).
I even take it (mix it with water) and also put it in my rabbits pellets.
So far, we're doing good.

I thought Advantage was considered unsafe for rabbits. When one of my rabbits had fleas I used kitten flea powder, which at the time I was told was safe, it worked with no problems.

okay so i'm interested in this DE stuff....but the site says if i need less than 100poundso f it then i need to buy it else where. but i'm in TN and it says there are no distributors in TN...where can i get it? and where do you buy it for yourself? it sounds like a really great product.

Bri - I ordered it from here:

http://www.earthworkshealth.com/

I ordered the (4) 2.5gallon set.
Like I said, I put it under their pens and in their pellets.
I haven't put it in their fur since I haven't seen evidence of them having any fleas or other critters crawling in their fur.

I would use Revolution (Selamectin) (made for cats and dogs, sold by veterinarians/prescription only). Ask your vet about the dosage.. usually a few drops to the back of the neck (where the rabbit can't groom off). Sometimes, in the case of fleas, you can apply it every 2 weeks for a period of time, then once monthly to prevent reinfestation. I would treat for at least 3 months (ALL pets) and continue environment control. Stages of the flea can live in your home for long periods of time.

Revolution is VERY safe. I would not use any over the counter products on your rabbit, and certainly never a flea collar. It's scary what some of these products can do to cats and dogs, let alone bunnies. I only use Revolution on my rabbits, rats, guinea pigs, ferrets, ect in the case of any mites, fleas, ear mites, ect. This product works great, it's very safe, and most exotic vets will dispense it for these animals even though it's off label.

http://www.revolutionpet.com/revolutionpet.aspx

Latest posts

Back