olives stomping babies?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

debi

Reaction score
my 3 year old netherland has had 2litters. on mothers day she delivered 5, 3 were in her cagenot in the nesting box and were dead by dawn when we found them. theother 2 were in busters (our bucks) cage ( I don't know how he gotthem) and seamed fine. She used her box as a litter box anddidn't pull fur at first but all seamed okay after a day or 2.Howeverwe quickly noticed that they weren't right (theylooked like baby seals. their tummies were as round as they were long)and both died within a few days. Last night she had a litterof 9.there wasn't a nesting box in her cage, because wehadn't let them together (so I thought). they were all deadand all over the cage and seemed all battered, not bitten or anythingbut bruised like she had stomped them to death although shehad pullen fur. any ideas?:(

Hi Debi,

I have a few ideas. Separate the Doe and Buck. Only place the Doe inwith the Buck when you intend to breed them, other than that DO NOT letthem out together or place them in the same cage or enclosure. Keepacurate records of the Date and time that you bred them. Place anestbox in with the Doe on the 28TH day from the date of breeding. Whenin doubt, place the nestbox anyway. Babies most likely died fromexposure. Doe in most cases will try to eat or destroy the evidence inan effort to hid the fact from predators. Purchase a good book on thesubject and read it cover to cover, then read it again. I suggest:"Rabbit Production" By McNitt,Patton,Lukefahr&Cheeke. Also"Your Rabbit A Child's Guide to Raising & Showing Rabbits" ByNancy Searle. These are two excellent books. There are many more but inMPO these are a great start. I hope this helped.

Dennis,C.V.R.:)

Netherland dwarfs rarely stomp theirbabies.Frequently however the babies are born dead very bruised fromthe birth process purple and frequently strectched out too.Sometimesits just the first litter but some small does never have livebabies.Sometimes it takes untill the second or third litter for them tofigure out they are supposed to take care of the babies some does neverget it.bluebird

What a shame, debi,

I'm so sorry. It's hard enough to lose one rabbit, let alone all that you have.

A tale was told to me once of a pair of rabbits that mated through acage as the cages were side-by-side. I'd definitely keep the buck andthe doe separate so that the both of you can recover a bit beforetrying again.

If babies are born on a wire (not in their nestboxes), the mother won'tfeed them. They also need the warmth of the nestbox as they catch achill quickly and pass on.

bluebird,

Would you try mating this doe again? Is there anything that can be done to avoid stillborns, such as diet?

Thanks for your comments.

-Carolyn

thanks for the advise and I will get those books.However my buck and doe are not in the same cage but side by side. Ionly have the 2 and thought they needed the company. I am nowputting a plastic guard in between their cages. I don't think we willbe trying this again very soon. It is so sad but comfortingto know that she probably didn't stomp them. Anyhow 9babieswould bealot for a first time mom. Thanksagain for all the advise. I am curiouse about their diet.should I be giving her supplements? -Debi

I would not rebreed this doe unless she was veryvaluable and i had another doe to foster the babies too.I believe thereason you get so many first litters born dead is because of the smallsize of the does. i have raised many other breeds and very few of themhave dead first litters.I never had a new zealand have bruised purplelooking babies from being born.just my opionion not a scientificfact.bluebird

Hi debi,

Since they babies aregone, there's no need to supplementtheir diet as long as they're on a good rabbitpellet.

A good rabbit pellet feed being something with 18%+ of fiber and 14%+protein. Usually these type of pellets are purchased from afeed store.

-Carolyn

Latest posts

Back