Oliver won't eat or drink :(

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kisha.princess

Princess
Reaction score
Since getting Oliver yesterday, he's only eaten a piece if banana and a few pieces of hay. He also hasn't drank anything. Should I be worried or does he just need to adjust?

Yes, you do need to be concerned. It's never good for a rabbit to stop eating. Have you tried offering a water dish, and did you get any of his usual pellets or hay from where ever you got him from? Does he seem nervous or stressed being in a new home? Is he showing any signs of pain and how long has it been since he ate or drank anything?

He is very nervous about being here, I just put a little water in his mouth with a syringe. I'm very very worried. He's very shy and gets scared easily. Do you think he's just scared? I got him from the pet store and they use te same pellets as I do.. I don't know what to do, princess hasn't ever quit eating so I'm new to this situation.

He is showing some symptoms of pain. The only problem is I have no momey right now. I don't know what to do..

Update he is eating some green pepper. I think I'm taking him to the vet tomorrow. Princess as well, for a check up..

Having him near your other rabbit might help, if they both seem to get along and like each other. Do you have their cages next to each other? Also if he is nervous about being around people and being picked up or handled, you should do as little of that as possible for a few days(as long as he starts eating and drinking) to minimize his stress and help him have a chance to settle in. Just keep it to feeding and as little cleaning as possible. Also give him a water dish if he only has a bottle to drink from.

You may not want to take him to the vet unless he has stopped eating, as the added stress of that could make things worse. You basically want to find what will make him feel safest and most comfortable, and get him eating. Normally you don't want to give treats and veggies to a rabbit that isn't used to it, but sometimes you need to, to jump start their eating.

Last edited:
He is showing some symptoms of pain. The only problem is I have no momey right now. I don't know what to do..
What kind of pain? When I first got my rescues one of them did not eat for a while and finally I got her eating..

Please keep us posted and let us know how your new bunny is doing..

Vanessa

I'd be calling the pet store and apprising them of the situation and be fully prepared to return him. A stressy baby rabbit is a bunny that may die. Dealing with a store you have the recourse of having them take him back.

Is he pooing normally? It might be best to just leave him bee for a bit with a bowl of water, a water bottle, some of his normal food, maybe lay off the fruit and veg as this could make matters worse due to the sugar/water content-do you know if he was eating fruit and veg in the last place, maybe put a cover over his cage to relax him and avoid him being disturbed by movement and noises.
Good Luck

He is starting to hop around and stuff normally. I have him a dish of water and he drank a tiny bit. He's been eating more hay as well. I think he is doing better I'm going to leave him alone for a few days (besides feeding and cleaning) then I'll slowly start integrating human interaction as to not startle him.

I wouldn't jump to conclusions that quick nor would I return the rabbit asap.

When I got mine they were stressed and it took Lady a day or so to start eating. I would give her parsley and a bit of banana to tempt her and get her going. After the third day she was getting back to normal. I would give him more time and work with him.

Do you have any fruit you could give to him to get him started eating? I'm not saying give him fruit every single day, but see if you have anything tasty with my guys banana, bits of papaya mango can get them going. If worse comes to worse and none of that work, do what I've done and get a few like 2 or three animal crackers to get them eating. Also for small treats I give cheerios.. not tons but a couple in your hand. Do you have any?

Let me know how things are going now...

Vanessa

Guys Oliver has started eating and drinking more!:) he's still not sold on hay and pellets yet but he loves leafy greens. Me nibbles on hay every so often an only a piece at a time but it's better than nothing!:) he seems to be adjusting to his new forever home much better and in a day or two I'm going to let him out and play with him some :)

Here's a picture of him eating some celery leavesImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1388769856.455767.jpg

I'm so glad to hear that he is doing better. I think he just needed time to get adjusted... Keep posting pictures and let us know how he get's along!

Take care
Vanessa

Latest posts

Back