Olive is sick

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

piperknitsRN

Reaction score
Olive is my ten month old Holland lop eared bunny. She is spayed and since about the middle of November of 2011 has been bonded to a bunny named Simon that I adopted from the humane society. She eats about a tablespoon of pellets a day, timothy hay, and greens, with occasional treats (usually given by my boyfriend) lately in the form of baby carrots. She is litter box trained and very docile.

Today, she was lying down in her X pen (kept in the kitchen) in a peculiar corner that wasn't normal for her. Since I had seen her eat her pellets this morning, I didn't think much of it, though even my boyfriend pointed it out to me. Around 530p.m., my boyfriend called me into the kitchen, saying he thought something was wrong--Olive was refusing carrots, which she normally loves.

I finally "put two and two" together and figured she might be in GI stasis--we picked her up, and her bottom was urine stained and had a soft poo smushed to her bottom. I surmise she was probably in a lot of pain and didn't bother to get up to use the litter box--and since I didn't see any fecal material around her where she was sitting (in the Xpen) I don't think she had been pooping, either.

Any way, my regular vet was closing for the day, so I took her to the emergency vet. I decided to let them keep her there overnight because her temp was "a little on the low side" so she could stay in the incubator, receive meds and fluids, and would have medical staff there if her condition got worse--rather than bring her home and try to play bunny nurse myself overnight. They called my vet to approve their treatment plan. Apparently my vet was, according to his partner, "in a class" after normal work hours, but they said they'd call me if something changed in the meantime.

I am very sad and feel guilty because I shrugged off her abnormal behavior this morning (sitting in that one spot for most of the day--I should have known better than to blow it off). I am glad my boyfriend tried to entice her with the carrots, because he thought something might be wrong with her. I would have never figured it out until I went to give them morning pellets, and by then, even more damage might have been done.

I am worried about my bunny, and worried about the bond between her and my other bunny, Simon. They have been bonded since mid-November of last year, and he wasn't allowed to stay with her overnight, so I'm afraid they might fight when she comes home (I brought him to the clinic with me, in the same carrier, but the vet wouldn't let him stay with her overnight and I had to respect the hospital's policy if I wanted to let her stay overnight, which I did, because she could get around-the-clock nursing and medical attention, and if she took a turn for the worse, they would be able to do something about it right away, without having to go back to the clinic in the middle of the night). I am also wondering how to clean her bottom/paws off as they are urine stained--another sign this afternoon that something was wrong with her, because she litter trained herself, more or less, and *always* uses the box. Except, apparently, when she's in too much distress.

I know lots of people on this forum have had their bunnies go through this... I make sure my bunnies have free choice timothy hay, limit their pellets and give them free-run time. I hope my bunny makes a turn around, although I heard this can be a slow process.

Don't beat yourself up. You got her to the vet and that's what matters. Being on this forum we see so many people who refuse to take there buns to the vet. Your a good bun-mom and I will be thinking of Olive tonight.

I_heart_Fraggles wrote:
Don't beat yourself up. You got her to the vet and that's what matters. Being on this forum we see so many people who refuse to take there buns to the vet. Your a good bun-mom and I will be thinking of Olive tonight.

Thank you! Your words help me to feel a little less guilty. I took her to the vet the minute it "sunk in" that we had a real problem--and while I wish it would have been sooner, I am glad she is getting good care and hopefully feeling less pain. She will have constant medical/nursing observation tonight just in case she gets worse, too. Olive and I appreciate your healing vibes!

Hoping Olive is doing well and on the way to being her ole self again.

Olive is lucky to have two caring bunny parents who are both watching over her and her buddy Simon.

Don't beat yourself up over this. Once it "sunk in" you were quick to react and get the help Olive needed.

K:)

ZRabbits wrote:
Hoping Olive is doing well and on the way to being her ole self again.  

Olive is lucky to have two caring bunny parents who are both watching over her and her buddy Simon.  

Don't beat yourself up over this.  Once it "sunk in" you were quick to react and get the help Olive needed. 

K:)

Dear ZRabbits: Thank you. I hope Olive is getting better, too. And thank you, for being understanding! I also thank you for your kind words--makes me feel a little less guilty!

I know she'll be better & home soon, so I'll mention now that if you take along one of Simon's blankets or something with his scent on it, or with her scent on it, for that matter & have it wrapped around her when they reunite it should help him to recognize her & get rid of the hospital smell.

LakeCondo wrote:
I know she'll be better & home soon, so I'll mention now that if you take along one of Simon's blankets or something with his scent on it, or with her scent on it, for that matter & have it wrapped around her when they reunite it should help him to recognize her & get rid of the hospital smell.

Thank you! That's a good idea! She'll be home later on this morning, I hope.

Olive is home! She did ok overnight and started eating some hay and pellets, and this morning she passed two small stools. I am keeping her in the bedroom where it is warmer (she usually is in an Xpen in the kitchen) and gave her hay and pellets and water, but right now she seems pretty freaked out (from the car ride?) and isn't eating anything. I have an appointment with her regular vet at 330p.m. if she doesn't perk up and start eating again, but hopefully she'll be ok. Unfortunately, I have to keep her and Simon separated so I can tell if she's pooping and eating, but the car ride home with the both of them was uneventful.

I hope things continue to go well. btw, if you were in Chicago you'd have no trouble keeping her warm. It's again to be a new record high, nearly 80`f.

LakeCondo wrote:
I hope things continue to go well. btw, if you were in Chicago you'd have no trouble keeping her warm. It's again to be a new record high, nearly 80`f.

I know ! That's absolutely crazy weather you are having there! Enjoy it ;-). I'm in the Pacific NW, and no such luck here, weather wise.

Olive seems more like herself--alert, moving around, eating hay, a few pellets, not much water drinking--but no poops yet. I need to call the vet at 1 p.m. to see if I should bring her in or not.

hotmaildeal wrote:
I hope Olive is back to herself soon! I'm glad to know she's better! :)

Thank you! I took her to my regular vet (who specializes in small animals like bunnies) this afternoon and got another SQ fluid bolus, some reglan and pain medicine for her. She is passing infrequent small dry stools and currently not a very happy camper, but I expect she'll perk up in a few minutes when she realizes she's ok and not in any further danger of getting prodded and poked.

So glad to hear Olive is home. Will be thinking of her and hoping that she can settle down now, relax and start feeling better. I know that Simon and Olive are bonded but right now you are doing the right thing keeping them separate so you can make sure Olive is eating and hopefully pooping soon.

All of you are in our thoughts.

Karen, Henry, Jake, Dobby, Kreacher, Willard and Neville

:)

ZRabbits wrote:
So glad to hear Olive is home.  Will be thinking of her and hoping that she can settle down now, relax and start feeling better.   I know that Simon and Olive are bonded but right now you are doing the right thing keeping them separate so you can make sure Olive is eating and hopefully pooping soon.

All of you are in our thoughts. 

Karen, Henry, Jake, Dobby, Kreacher, Willard and Neville

:)

Oh thank you! That is very kind of you! We appreciate it very much. I have Olive in my room (it stays warmer in there than the kitchen) and she is currently showing her displeasure at the whole "poke and prod" treatment by foot flicking her way around the litter box, and dropping poops *outside* the litter box. Who knew I could be so happy about seeing bunny poop on my carpet?

Fingers and paws crossed she will continue to heal and feel better.! :wink

tonyshuman wrote:
How is Olive today?

Much better, thank you. She is on a five day course of metacam and reglan but has been eating, and her fecal output looks much better. She's been hoping around and grooming herself. So, I think we're getting through it ok.

I hope she stays well. Thanks for your concern!

Latest posts

Back