Older Rabbit Freezing

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DyemondRabbitry wrote:
My rabbits are all "nice big new zealands" (loved that explanation!!). Our outside "hutches" were OSB board on all four sides (with a door of wire about 12x12 on front). The bottom was wire, of course. The OSB ran until about 2 feet off of the ground to eliminate the drafts and if it was really really cold (below zero) then the entire thing (rows of these hutches) was surrounded by a tarp.
I'm trying to envision this setup. Do you have a photo?

I'm still working on constructing our outdoor hutch. The hardest thing to figure out is how to balance the need for wind protection with the need for sunlight. If the entire hutch is OSB board, does that mean the 12x12 door is the only source of sunlight?

I usually only used these hutches in the winter. What you could do for sunlight is allow something like a wire top and then build a roof over it (kinda a lot of work) or maybe something like corrogated roofing that's clear... let me see if I have any old photos.

Thanks, I hope I am not hijacking here, but it seems related enough.

I have started with a shelter attached to our shed. Think carport full of rabbit cages, but no car. The space is protected by the roof above, but no protection on three sides. I'd like the rabbits to get plenty of indirect sunlight and ventillation, but not too much winter wind. Rain/snow is not really a problem because of the big roof. I'm trying to decide between wire, solid wood, lattice, cloth, plastic, glass, etc on the sides.

Latest posts

Back