Older bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gullysworld

Reaction score
I have a 7 yr old mini rex unspayed female. She lost her sister 2 months ago. Since that time she has lost some weight.... which was a good thing, but she now has loose skin that is just hanging off of her stomach and hind end area. Is there a reason for this ??? She keeps getting a very messy, poopy hind end that requires cleaning atleast once a day. it seems as if it is theloose skin that is getting in the way.She is acting and eating fine.

Thank you for your help.

If her weight loss was sudden, it's cause for concern. The 'poopy butt' is also cause for concern. And the fact she's unspayed is even more of a concern. A majority of unspayed females will develop uterine tumors, and they can turn cancerous. I'd get her in for x-rays ASAP based on that alone.

I don't know about the folds of skin interfering with her cecotropes consumption, usually fat rabbits will have trouble cleaning them up, but it's possible it is an issue.

Aside from getting her to a vet, I'd try increasing her hay consumption and cut back her pellets (and all carbs and treats) for a bit and see it that helps.

Hope she's okay. I have a thing for mini-rexes.

sas :pray:

PS: Never assume that an active rabbit with a good appetite is healthy. Rabbits hide illness very well. My mini-rex had cancer throughout his system, the vet said he had it for quite awhile, but he never showed any signs until a few hours before he died. Another little guy of mine died of a systemic infection with a stem of parsley in his mouth.

sas :cry2

I would also be concerned in a rabbit of that age (and unspayed) that with such a sudden weight loss cancer could be the cause. Internal parasites can also cause weight loss, but I don't think it is drastic enough to leave baggy skin. We have lost a lot of bunnies that seemed totally fine to cancer on this board, so please have it looked at very soon.
:pray:

Latest posts

Back