Older Bunny with diarrhea

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtvarnell

Reaction score
I received this bunny Saturday and he seemed to be a grumpy Bunny he bit me several times. And come to find out he wasn't feeling good. This afternoon I found runny poo in his cage. It smelled awful also.

How to treat him??

We brought him home from a show. He is almost a year old.

Best to get a vet ASAP; this very well could be a parasite caleed coccidia which is treatable.
make sure that you keep him hydrated with pedialyte , feed good quality grass or timothy hay and for the time being pull the pellets and feed hay only
Also good to give a dose of a probiotic called benebac which comes in individual tubes for small mammals and/or a powder form for dogs and cats which is fine for rabbits ; you could actually mix the powder with the pedialyte
benebac is sold at petstores like petco and petsmart
let us know ...

Looking better already been upping the Oats and Hay. We won him in a raffle and I believe it is probley from switching his food since I have no idea what he was feed before.

If his poo smells really bad (think the smell of tar or sulphur) then you may be looking at cocci and need to get medication.

Cocci has a very distinct odor - to me - it smells like tar.

If the odor is just from the poo itself - then cocci isn't involved.

Latest posts

Back