Older bunn with skin lumps.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Runestonez

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Hey guys...
I need a few ideas here!

I have a friend with an older bunn...how old we aren't sure, she was adopted.

She noticed lumps/bumps on her bunns skin...so she took her to the vet and had a biopsy done...it came back today...not cancer.
However, the lab isn't sure exactly what it is.:?SO they have suggested doing tests for bacterial and fungal infections.

So the vet is suggesting an antibiotic injection to treat for bacterial infection and if that doesn't work then another test maybe. The injection for fungal infection is going to be MUCH harder on the bunns liver...and since she is older they want to avoid that.
She really doesn't want her bunn to go through another stressful test if she doesn't have to either...
I have asked her for more details, size, where, fluid filled, etc...so I'll post that when I get it...
But in the meantime anyone have any ideas what it could be?
The vet is very rabbit savvy...btw

I was thinking fatty tumors or cystic growths...
Does anyone know of an older bunn with skin bumps?

She isn't sure where to go from here...I was thinking hold off and monitor the situation for now.

Ideas?

Thanks! :)

It's a bit hard to guess with out the details. Is the skin broken or are the lumps under the skin. Fatty lumps/cysts is certainly a possibility if it's unbroken skin.

As I understand it the skin is unbroken...
You can't tell they are there unless rubbing the rabbit or petting.

She ha to go out last night so she wasn't able to return my email...still waiting for more details.

We are really hesitant to do anything that can affect the quality of life with an older bun. If they are happy, eating, and all the other functions we think it should be ignored. Really hate doing anything that can compromise organ functions.

OK...more info...

The bunn is around 8 years old...
The lumps are solid, pea sized.
There are 6-7 lumps altogether...2 on her back relatively close together, 2-3 on her upper neck, and one on either side of her jaw.

They have all stayed about the same size except two...one on her back and one on her jaw are still growing.

They appear to be solid.
Bunn shows no discomfort when they are examined...she has been less feisty and more needy lately...but she is getting older too.

The vet is stumped an has posted on his own forum looking for suggestions...

I'm passing on info/suggestions I can find.

Did they find bacteria inside the lumps ? if so they would be absesses
I think that if the vet is rabbit saavy he would have called them abscesses if that is what they are. ??

Everything came back as inconclusive, but cancer negative.

The vet is stumped...and so far none of the other vets on the forum know what it could be.

The vet is suggesting treating for bacteria because it is the least dangerous option.

They excised one of the lumps and that was what they sent for testing...
It seems weird they can't narrow it down more.

I think he'd probably have been able to tell it was an abscess if he removed one. It's weird to have so many in different places. I'm stumped! I'd tend to agree on the monitor and do nothing in an older bun if it's not effecting her.

The people at MediRabbit.com have written a book specifically dealing with skin diseases in rabbits.

http://www.medirabbit.com/Books/Book_main.htm

They also have extensive information about skin diseases on their web site.

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Skin_diseases_main.htm

I strongly urge your friend and the vet to check out the web site. There is an email address given at the bottom of the web site, and I do know from personal experience that they will answer emails. It would help them alot if you could include large clear photos of the lumps with the email.

Thanks Flick!:biggrin:

I owe you one!
I didn't know they had that book out.
I have contacted the author and the lady with the bunn...
now we're getting somewhere...

I just hope the information leads to a diagnosis that shows they're just an accumulation of fatty tissue. Pixel had some mysterious bumps under her chin in the scent gland area. The initial biopsy said they were benign. A couple of months later they had grown and were cancerous. So we had them removed for $1500. I take lumps very seriously, now.

Esther Van Praag, the author of the book on rabbit skin diseases, and I have talked...
I have put her in touch with the lady.
Esther is awesome, such a nice lady...she is willing to help us identify the lumps...
so we are going to try to get her some pathology reports and put her in touch with the vet.

So overall a much better outlook than earlier in the week!
We're moving forward!:)

My main concern was an abscess on an organ...unseen...seeding.
So fingers crossed for calcium or fat!:pray:

Runestonez wrote:
Esther Van Praag, the author of the book on rabbit skin diseases, and I have talked...
I have put her in touch with the lady.
Esther is awesome, such a nice lady...she is willing to help us identify the lumps...
so we are going to try to get her some pathology reports and put her in touch with the vet.

So overall a much better outlook than earlier in the week!
We're moving forward!:)

My main concern was an abscess on an organ...unseen...seeding.
So fingers crossed for calcium or fat!:pray:
Very cool Dani ! I will be interested in the diagnosis

I'm glad you contacted Esther. She's a very intelligent lady with a heart of gold. If some of her wording seems odd, it's because English is not her first language. It's her 3rd or 4th. Very smart lady. :)

Keep us updated, please. :)

Latest posts

Back