Older bun having accidents

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luna21

Reaction score
Gizmo my 6 yr old bun is having issues with his bladder. I started noticing that he will sometimes pee on the floor or on the couch without reason or warning. He is neutered and he is litter trained and uses his pan. He has the same space hes had since weve moved here a year ago and nothing has changed with how much space he is given. He is still eating and drinking normally and he does not have urine stains on his belly, tail, bum or feet. He behaves as he always has and is as active as he can be at his age. I have noticed a few times that there was what looked to be a sandy substance in his urine when he had peed on the hardwood floor. He does not seem to be in any discomfort but being a bunny im sure he hides his pain well. Does this sound like bladder sludge or crystals? Is there anything i could do to help him in terms of his diet? How worried should i be about this?

It could be a bladder sludge/calcium issue. If he's suddenly started not using his litter tray to pee, he might be losing a bit of control over his bladder and I would really recommend a vet visit. Otherwise in terms of diet, avoid foods high in calcium: kale, rocket, broccoli, mustard greens, spinach, alfalfa hay etc.

Latest posts

Back