Old Rabbit, new attitude

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReubensRoommate

Reaction score
Hi there me and my wife are having a liiiiittle problem with our pet rabbit, Reuben. Since moving in with my wife over a year ago he has been pooping and peeing on us like crazy. Spray peeing, peeing on the bed, the couch, around his litter boxes, everywhere. We thought at first it was because of the move since he has never done things before, but it’s been a year. I haven’t gotten him neutered and this summer he will be having his 12th birthday so he’s not done this in over 10 years. Any help as to why he has changed would be great!

If the wife is new(for a year), that could explain it. He may just really like your wife. Though for him to still be hormonal at his age would be surprising. In which case neutering could possibly help, but you never know since he is older. It's also a bit riskier because of his age, and a vet may not want to do it just because of this.

Or it could have to do with moving to a new territory(new place). It's not uncommon for changes(new area, new people or animals) to spark new marking behaviors in rabbits, though it is unusual for it to continue for this long and usually starts to resolve in a few weeks or months. It could be he's continuing to feel insecure or unhappy about the change and is letting you know that he's not happy with you, or is continuing to mark territory because he feels insecure. Some rabbits can surprisingly have very long memories.

If it's not actual spaying but more like leaving urine dribbles or puddles around, he could have a urinary issue. Could be age related from something like arthritis or a spinal issue. Or it could be he's just loosing bladder control. If there were any loss of vision, that could also be a contributing factor. There are also illnesses that can be a cause, such as a UTI and e. cuniculi, but I don't think an infection is likely because of the time it's been going on. If it's something like age related arthritis, getting him on daily oral meloxicam(anti inflammatory) may prove helpful. It was helpful for my old bun with arthritis. If there's any chance it could be health related, seeing an experienced rabbit vet would be a good idea. A check up might be good anyways, just because of his age.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back