Old rabbit having trouble :(

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hilbilly534

Reaction score
Need advice, my baby is almost 12 years old. I noticed last night he wasn’t wanting food and acting off. Then in the morning he went on the small section of wood in his room which he never goes on and got stuck on his side flailing his legs trying to get up. Once I put him back on the carpet he was still having trouble getting up from laying down.

I took him to the vet and every looked fine and his hops look good and it’s not an injury. Vet said it could be arthritis but also could be age.

Now he’s eating again but he’s still having trouble getting up from laying down, he needs assistance getting up.

I’m so worried and want him to be ok. Any advice if you have experienced anything similar? Thanks!!!!

Attachments

• D5D402A6-FA94-4945-B84C-0BF2444C2B45.jpeg
    D5D402A6-FA94-4945-B84C-0BF2444C2B45.jpeg
    407.4 KB · Views: 0
Was he checked for a possible ear infection? My first bunny got one when he was probably around 6 and had difficulty finding balance till he was treated.

I have had several elderly bunnies and that kind of behavior can have a variety of causes. A slight spinal injury can give trouble, or vision problems, or as mentioned, inner ear problems. Has he been given pain meds (meloxicam)? If it looks like dizziness, meclizine can help. Also, dehydration is often a factor and can cause leg weakness and imbalances. If your heat is on and drying out the house, that is a likely possibility. The first things I will therefore try with my bunnies are subcutaneous fluids and meloxicam (give meloxicam with or after food only).

If you feed pellets, you can also try soaking them in some water or chamomile tea for a bit—older bunnies will often appreciate easier eating and will get more liquids this way. Try to figure out if there is one leg that has weakness that he is not using to help him get up. E. Cuniculi can cause limb weakness, though that is down the list after the other things. Some gentle massages alongside the spine and on legs will help circulation—since older bunnies often lie around a lot, the circulation can be lacking and limbs can fall asleep, leading to weakness or stumbling. There is a bunny massage book that can guide you. Also, my elderly bunnies have appreciated a Snugglesafe to help stiff bones and aging hips — one of my bunnies would lie with her stiff hip right up against it or even over it.

Lots of cuddles and warmth for an elderly bunny. Make the most of the time you have left with him, and congratulations for having gotten him this far!

Latest posts

Back