Okay so I'm not giving up just yet....

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CKGS

Reaction score
I sat up alot last night and thought and prayed about this ilttle white fella's future and I'm not liking what I'm seeing.... Everyone has played pass the bunny with him for far too long- I think it's about time he see that we aren't all like that. Maybe he is the way he is because of people...Maybe he expects me to be the same way, that I will just give up... Well I have something to tell this little man- I am NOT done yet! He will have to learn that he is NOT disposable and accept that I CAN and WILL love him or well.... He will just have to deal with it! If he thinks being trouble can make me kick him out- he has another thing coming to him. My Favorite, most loved dog was TROUBLE and she made me want to toss her out a million times over- remember Marley? But in the end, just as with Marley, she ended up being the best dog ever and stole my heart and left with parts of it so this lil man isn't getting away that easy... If he wants trouble I'll give it to him in the form of a love that he can't shake off...

So here we go on this journey to tame the savage beast... I am prepared! I have my handy little survivors guide and this forum to help through the rough times but I am going to give it a go- I'm not a quitter and by god this lil guy is not going to be either. In the end he will be a happy bunny. Lol- that is his name and my goal- a happy bunny. Say Hello to Happy!

IMG_2808.jpg

Janet, I'm so happy you made that decision. I hope it works out for you.

Is their any way you can keep him in your bedroom away from the kids until he gets use to all the noise.I have 2 in my bedroom, I love watching them at night.

Susan:)

I hope your plan works :)but if not, you'll know you gave it your all. :pray:He sure is a beautiful bunny. :biggrin2:

You'll have to make his own blog to keep us updated. Lol. Just a suggestion....April

He is actually in my bedroom as it is usually the quietest home, save right now when all the kids have decided it is time to be near mom and basically be noisey. Lol. This isn't going to be easy but I've often learned throughout my life the roughest roads seem to lead to the best life has to offer. If I hadn't taken these roads before I would have not had my beautiful children nor 2 of my past pets who made mine and my childrens' lives more beautiful. Happy will be just that one day, I know it.

That's actually a good suggestion April. I think, lord willing, if this works then he will deserve his very own blog. My fiance and I were watching him last night and I realized how hand shy he is. This is what made the decision to put more effort into him... I feel horrible that we humans have made him this way.. I am ashamed that our species can be so harsh to our little furry friends... I bet God is saddened by this since they were entrusted to our care... He jumps and shakes when a hand is raised over his head, he closes his eyes and just shakes... How pitiful and sad is this..Poor lil Happy.

My best wishes for a very Happy bunny...
At the end of the day, you will know you have done your very best, whatever the outcome.
Whether your home is a waystation on Happy's journey, or it is the destination, you will have improved his life for the better.
Kudos to you for meeting this challenge, Janet.
:hug:

Thanks so much Autumn.
Thanks to everyone. Whatever the outcome of this, I will know (without a doubt) that I gave this little guy the best chance possible. I don't want to see him passed around anymore and want to see him have some happiness in his life. I am hoping Abby can teach him the finer things in life such as tearing open food bags, stealing my snacks from my hand, and making a adorable nuisance of himself... Lol- never thought I'd ask for another bun to be like the Abmonster.

Sounds like he needs to learn to trust you. And that will take time. Thats great thats he's in your room, where it's quieter. Just gonna take patience. :)He'll learn your there to love him, and not hurt him.

^^^ Well put, April :)

It may be that you might see a remarkable difference after neutering. My Eve was a nasty bit of work when she came to me; insane cage aggression, lunging and snarling.
Post spay, and a lot of patience on both our parts, she will dance over and beg for Craisins, and flop for pets.
He's so young... you can master this.

Actually that may be an idea, if you can bond Abby with happy after his neutering... Well he would start to learn Abby's habits. He'll calm down more when he has another rabbit with him and to see Abby getting the same sort of attention.

I have some suggestions for you from my work with horses and dogs and my own Lucy who I worked through a cage aggressive stage. So if you need any tips or advice just drop me a message or add me on msn!

I am so happy that you decided to give it a Go :)
Whether it works out or not ...
but neutering him may help immensely
and being in your bedroom will probably help alot

* get ear plugs; rabbits are noisy at night !!!!111 :)

Ok...how to put this gently...

I'M SO HAPPY!!!!

I'm so glad you're giving this a bigger chance. I know it's hard, Sweetie...but I think you're right about him. He acts like a rescue, and they always need more time and attention than other buns, but it's so worth it in the end.

When we got Fiver, he was simply terrified. He cried in his sleep (I think from a nightmare of what he'd had to go through) a couple times shortly after coming home, and started out scared of hands...but is now the lovey-est bunny we've ever had!! Fiver was found by the road, wandering around, trying to survive. He was dirty enough all over that they thought he had oil spots in his fur...turns out, they were black fur spots! LOL! But, the point being, someone had dumped his sweet self...we think a breeder that didn't want his big ol' dwarf-gene-lacking Holland lop self...and it took him some time to get used to having people around that were there just to serve him. :)

He's still not used to it, and we've had him a couple years now. He still expects that he has to behave PERFECTLY, or we'll stop feeding him or toss him out. It's really interesting how obvious it is that he feels this way. Sometimes he cowers when a hand comes close, and I have to talk to him to help him calm down and realize that it's ME and that I won't hurt him or toss him out on the street. Poor fellow, he's just never recovered fully, and I'm not sure he ever really will. :(

BUT...all this to say...I'm so happy to hear the rescuer's heart in you! I'm so happy that you're giving this lil' guy a good chance with you guys.

My best advice: sit on the floor with him out (preferably when the kids are busy elsewhere, if that's possible...maybe when they're in bed for the night?), and read a book or do something that's not sitting and staring at him or trying to get his attention. Most buns are curious about someone who won't pay all attention to them, lol, and he'll probably come over cautiously and check you out a bit.

You'll also find that he'll get used to the loud noises in the household. It could possibly take him months...but I'll tell you this much: Fiver was terrified of the noise my daughter would make (she was seven at the time, and has always been a terribly noisy kid, lol). One time, a loud noise she made scared him so bad, he rolled down his ramp inside his cage, completely stunned...and I had to go over and pet him for a while and talk to him to calm him down. Fast forward to now: none of that bothers him. He rarely thumps anymore, and is very well-adjusted.

I can't say how long it'll take your little guy...but it'll happen. You've already taken a great step in the right direction in putting him somewhere that it's generally quieter than the rest of the house...and that's a very smart start. :)

Hugs to you both!!

Rosie*

Oh how fantastic :)

It can be very easy to pass on an animal when you haven't had them long, especially when they are causing problems, because it is easier to get rid of the problem than face it. I'm so, so glad that you are going to face the problem.

It can be hard and tough to bring them round, but always be calm and always be patient. Remember none of this is personal to you, this is based on his past, or on his genetics, and neither of those are his fault.

What a lucky guy to have someone fight for him :)

:yahoo:

Congrats to both of you! There's still a long way to go but Happy is a lucky guy to have you.

My very best wishes to you for everything to go well! :hug:

Congrats on the little guy. I hope he learns to trust you, and eventually love you! :)

Have you ever read Rabbits: Gentle Hearts, Valiant Spirits? It is a book with compiled stories about rabbits (mostly rescues). A lot of them were afraid of people and did not want to have anything to do with them. Some of the stories tell about how the rabbits overcame their pasts and were able to wiggle their human into their hearts again, and learned to trust them. They even say how the people did it sometimes. It's a good read, maybe a little inspiration for you and Happy. :)

Here is a link to an overview about the book. It is definitely worth it!
Rabbits: Gentle Hearts, Valiant Spirits

Good luck with your little guy! :clover:

ETA: Did I miss his story? Why has he been to so many homes? Where did you get him from, etc. I probably missed a thread somewhere else, but I looked and didn't see anything. Just looking for more info!

I am glad you desided to keep him.

I know how your feel storm is a hand full in himself he loves us but has never reallly got the trust thing down. He will charge for crasins. And such but I had towork at i took about 3 months of work hard worksitting on the floor watching tv on the floor.

He has a big heartI see more and more of it everyday. He has willing been in my lap one time in 7 months. And that was resently. He will come around with you and your family fightingfor him he has a great home

Back