Ok, This is a Bit Weird...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SugarGlider

Reaction score
I dropped off Livingston this evening to get neutered tonight and my vet just called to let me know how he was doing and she tells me that Livingston could have never bred because he had BOTH male and female parts.

She said she was pulling out his testicle and an ovary and a uterine horn came out attached to it. Afterwards she went back and disected it to be sure and it was indeed female parts.

She also said "I've done tons of these and I've never seen this before."

So the good news is that we were 110% right about getting him neutered. But unfortunately he'll be extra sore from the extra tugging to get the extra things out.

My hubby and I are in shock!

:faint:

Hey, you've got the best of both worlds. ;)

Glad the poor boy... er... bunny... is okay.

I hope they gave you good pain meds, the shot they give them does wear off and from experience, they can be pretty miserable without something more.

sas

Well, I guess the name Livingston can go either way (you can call him Livvy). hehe

Ive heard of this in people, guess it makes sense it would happen in bunnies as well. I wonder if you should tell the breeder, is it something genetic?

I guess it was a good choice to just have him neutered (and spayed)! You got two surgeries for the price of one :)

Get well soon Livingston!

:shock:Wow,that would have been a bit of a shock!

Sending Livingston lots of healing vibes, poor boy..hope he's doing ok

cheryl

Wow! I've never heard of anything like that!

I guess you could call him a 'duck' (From that movie, not sure what it's called? ;))

I'm not sure his breeder would care.Ever since we convinced her that he really is sick she has been selectively ignoring 99% of the stuff I tell her about him.

As for was it completely removed... she did not cut him further, but pulled out all that was attached to his testicle. She said if he still act's hormonal she'll go back in but she thought that might be all there was.

I'm sure she'll give him good pain meds :)

I think I'll keep *him* a boy though... it would be much too odd to change it now. He is my sweet boy :)

Wow, that Livingston is full of suprises:shock:. I think the term is hermaphrodite - I vaguely remember BuckJones mentioning about a rabbit that was the same, but can't remember if it was one of his. Just makes Livingston even more special ;)

Jan

This is indeed very strange - it was somethingwe were just discussing on the judges education forum and I had postedthis link . . .

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1252732

Also:

This excerpt from another site references a hermaphrodite rabbit
that sired litters as well as kindled while in isolation from other
rabbits.

Hermaphroditism�a sex anomaly in which gonads for both sexes are
present; the external genitalia show traits of both sexes and
chromosomes show male female mosaicism (xx/xy).

In a study in the Netherlands in 1990 called Combined
Hermaphroditism and Auto-fertilization in a Domestic Rabbit. In this
study a true hermaphrodite rabbit served several females and sired
more than 250 young of both sexes. In the next breeding season, the
rabbit which was housed in isolation, became pregnant and delivered
seven healthy young of both sexes. It was kept in isolation and when
autopsied was again pregnant and demonstrated two functional ovaries
and two infertile testes. A chromosome preparation revealed a
diploid number of autosomes and two sex chromosomes of uncertain
configuration.

References for the above article:
REFERENCES
Genetics: 1991 Sept: 129(1):211�9
Fertility�Sterility�1991 Nov: 56(5):904�12
Journal of Fertility and Sterility�JC:evf 57(2):346�9 1992 Feb.
Another web reference to the info above;
http://veterinaryrecord.bvapublications.com/cgi/content/abstract/126/24/598

Pam

"In the next breeding season, the
seven healthy young of both sexes. "

YIKES! Imagine if Livingston had a litter and you still thought he was all boy... AND he had never been with another bunny!

:shock2:

Ok, now I'm even MORE glad I got him neutered!! Talk about inbred, lol.

So far he seems to be doing well. The vet is coming in at 6pm to check him and ok him coming home! I miss him!!I've been playing with the baby bunnies all day but it's just not the same thing as my Bunzilla :(

HoneyPot wrote:
"In the next breeding season, the
seven healthy young of both sexes. "

YIKES! Imagine if Livingston had a litter and you still thought he was all boy... AND he had never been with another bunny!

:shock2:

LOL, I've always wondered it this could actually happen...:shock:

Poor Livingston! I hope he doesn't have to go in for another op.:)

Michaela and the girls:brownbunny:brownbunny:brownbunny

Ok back from picking up Livingston.

He had a normal testicle and he had the testicle with the female parts attached. So he was MORE male than female.

She believes that all the female parts were removed. He did get cut a bit extra, but only a bit further in the spot already cut and not another spot.

He's in a good mood tonight.

Here he is wondering if he can get away with chewing on my favorite blanket :)

DSC00004-6.jpg

He's just a very special boy! And of course he's in a good mood- he doesn't have to be confused about his gender anymore.:D

Reminds me of biology class and all the wierd things that can happen with hormones and sex chromosomes.

Awww, I'm so glad to hear he's home and doing so well! Definitely a weird case, the poor little GUY must've been so confused about his sexuality all this time! ;)

He looks like he's feeling back tohis normal self, and your blanket looks like it's in trouble. :D

Latest posts

Back