Ok, so what is a charlie?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gentle giants

Reaction score
I was looking at a Mini rex breeder's website, and she said if you breed a broken to a broken you will get charlies, and breed a charlie to a solid you get perfectly marked brokens, or something like that. My question is, what is a charlie? Is it a cetain kind of broken marking or what? And if anyone has any pics of a charlie that shows markings, I would be very appreciative.

A Charlie is a rabbit that inherits one broken gene from each parent and is lightly marked. It usually has markings on the nose andears and also a stripe of color down the back. Most of the Charlies I have seen are unshowable because they have less than the required 10 to 15% coloring (I believe thats the percentage). They can however be bred and you have already read the results of breeding a Charlie.

I had a Charlie Holland Lop. She was the sweetest thing ever. I don't have a picture on this computer but I'll see if I can find one of her for you.

This is Honey Pot's bunny, Cookie. Would he be considered a "Charlie"?

cookie4.jpg

I think he's adorable.

Yep -- Cookie is a "Charlie".

By American Rabbit Breeders Association definition, a charlie is simply a lightly marked broken rabbit (not necessarily homozygous for the English Spotting gene).

Pam

Thanks for the link, BunnyLover, that really helped. Thanks, everybody, for your help. I just have one more question-- is this guy a charlie? I sold him recently because I decided not to go into opals, but he has very little color. You can just barely see the spots on his back, he had three or four small spots.

gentle giants wrote:
Thanks for the link, BunnyLover, that really helped. Thanks, everybody, for your help. I just have one more question-- is this guy a charlie? I sold him recently because I decided not to go into opals, but he has very little color. You can just barely see the spots on his back, he had three or four small spots.
Yes. He's a Charlie. ;)

~Sunshine

Latest posts

Back