Oh what's next?? Dimi lost a nail... was bleeding!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

napagirl

Reaction score
So after averting stasis with my husband up all night hydrating her with a dropper, vet visit and motility meds, Dimi appeared to be on the mend. The night before last she seemed to get her full spunk back.

Yesterday I took her out of her xpen to clean it. I put her on my daughter's bed, with my daughter watching/playing with her. I have her digs cleaned up in ~20min, go into my daughter's room and she is using Kleenex to get blood off her comforter! She said Dimi seems to be bleeding from one of her paws. I gently felt around, and the front left paw, pinkie finger, has no claw! I was freaked out and searched on here and found this is not too uncommon? I have no idea how it happened- no falls, nothing at all out of the ordinary. She seemed fine after that and there was only a little blood. When my husband got home we put her on the bed to inspect. She freaked out because she hates to be restrained in any way and ended up kicking ferociously. This must have dislodged a scab because then there was a blood bath. I was freaking out. I got cool wet cloths and held them on to stop the bleeding, which did stop quickly. I read it was ok to use Neosporin, so I put a dab on, but she licked it off in her pen after I put her back. Had to go to work today... she's eating normally, acting normally and playing. I will check it later when my husband is home, and he can hold her standing (she doesn't fight that), and I can inspect. This rabbit is making me a nervous wreck! BTW, her rabbit vet just went out on maternity leave :nosir:

If it's broken off at the nail bed, you'll just want to check it each day for about a week, to make sure it doesn't show any signs of infection. Otherwise it should heal just fine.

Agree with JBun, nail injuries can be scary because they bleed so much, but they're usually quite miner. Just keep an eye on it :)

If it's broken off completely she'll be fine as long as it's stopped bleeding. It's trickier when the break a nail and it doesn't come off because then it needs to be trimmed down.

It was broken off completely, right at the interface of toe/nail. No more bleeding since the bloodbath. Tonight I felt a slight point forming... I think a new nail may be growing back in. She did not flinch at examination of the nail. She is doing great binkying, flopping, munching away. Crisis averted, I cautiously hope!

Back