Oh the ordeal....

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MagPie

Reaction score
Well, Harvey needs his nails trimmed back and I haven't had the confidance to do it myself. I'm nervous about hurting him so he senses that and freaks out when I pick him up. I've gotten him trained pretty well where I can get him to go where I want him to without picking him.

Man oh man, you would think I was trying to torture him when I tried clipping his nails. I got one back nail done ok. I tried to do the front and I got kicked and scratched. I've got a long scratch down the inside of my wrist. Looks like I tried to cut myself :rollseyes He's a bit mad at me right now haha. Nothing a few banana chips didn't fix. I'm also working on just touching his feet gently first, just stroking them.

Guess I need to work on picking him up without being nervous then try nail clipping. Till then I'm going to have the vet do it.

I've started out doing one foot at a time. I was nervous as well when I first started trimming nails. Now I'm up to two bunny feet each time. Though it's a lot of work, I feel the more I do it with shorter time for my bunnies, they are not as stressed. And they are learning that if they are still for that short period of time, it's over before they know it and they are back on their feet and get the reward of running around.

But smart move to ask the Vet until you feel more comfortable. It's so true, rabbits do read your emotions very well.

K:)

Our new girl Sophie HATES to be picked up. I'm going to work with her, but she had to get her nails trimmed. They were so long that they were starting to break and bleed.

I put her up on my desk that has two small drawers on the top. It's the perfect size for her to lay comfortably and have something in front and behind her. I did the right side, turned her around and did the left. With having her boxed in on three sides she didn't complain much. She struggled more when I turned her than when I trimmed. Hope that helps.

I think it's more when I try to touch his feet. I can get him tranced but the minute I go for the feet... yeesh. I might just try the back feet first. I got kicked more when I tried to cut the front. I've been touching his feet while not holding him so he'll hopefully get used to it.

Yeah, Larry that would be better but I don't have anyone around who can help me.

I think part of the problem is that last time I had to pick him up and hold him was when his ear got scratched and I had to give him meds. That was a stressful time to begin with because I was worried he wasn't getting better. I was worried about affording to get him better. So now when I think about picking him up my heart starts pounding. But I held him till he calmed down and then let him go.

I tried for a while to do it myself... Cookie hates to be picked up (well by me anyway) then the other day my hubby picked him up and he was perfect... Lol I have been able to clip all of his nails twice now!

I hope he warms up! Otherwise just let the vets do it...

OOoh he's a very loving rabbit, just not when it comes to being picked up XD Which being a rabbit I understand and don't fault him for that. Plus he knows I'm not to confident on picking him up. I watched the vet do it without him struggling ... of course haha.

My vet had someone hold her when he did it, so that clearly helps. But going there just for that, is stressful too, so I may try it.

Latest posts

Back