OH NOOO! Are these ear mites!?!?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angoralover

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Today, I took my rabbit out to run around the house while Icleaned his cage out. I then put him on my lap and I started pettinghim. While I was petting him...I noticed this blackish brownish crustysubstance in my rabbits ear! It sort of look like someone put coffeeground in Cotton Ball's ear! I'm really scared, and is this anything toworry about? Will it go away? Oris this caused from earmites?:shock:pLEASE HELP! Should I wash his ears out withsoap and water?Should I take him to the vet?...and if it isear mites...can I buy somthing at the pet store to make them go away?HELP!

Cassandra

The brown crusty material is probably dried bloodcause by ear mite bites. You can purchase ear mite medicinefor cats that is dripped into the ear. If that doesn't clearthe problem up, Ivomec given orally or by injection works well.

Pam

Ok thanks Pam:)Also, should Iwash his ears out with soap and water before applying the ear mitemedicine? And...can you purchase Ivomec from a local petstoreordo you have to purchase it from your vet?

Thanks,

Cassandra

Hi Cassandra,

You can get Ivermectin (same thing) at a Tractor Supply Company store,some pet stores supply it, or a place that sells horse supplies. It's ahorse-worming paste and you only need a pea-sized dollop to treat therabbit with ear or fur mites. It's anywhere from $12-20. It takes careof everything except for adult fleas.

My animal hospital said not to use it because it's too powerful forrabbits, but I've known breeders and pet owners that have used it withgreat success for many years. I did changeover and use it myself now.All you need is a pea-sized amount - and then repeat treatment in 10days for any eggs that may have been laid.

There are other methods that people use. I used mineral oil, but it wasvery messy. It suffocates the mite's pores and kills them. I've usedVetRx for rabbits and had luck with that too.

You can rub on their mouth or on their front paws, as they'll lick it off.

Ivomec and Ivermectin 1.87 are the same thing.

-Carolyn

P.S.

You don't have to wash out the rabbit's ears with soap and water.

Personally, because the ears are so sensitive and the rabbits movearound with such force when they jerk themselves, I wouldn't doanything with them.

I only let my vet clean my rabbit's ears because she knows what she's doing and too much can go wrong if you don't.

Just like we shouldn't put anything bigger than our finger in our own ears to clean them, I stay out of my rabbit's ears too.

If you have more than one rabbit, check the whole herd, as I'm sure you already have.

Ok, thanks a lot. I only have one rabbit,so I don't have to worry about checking other rabbits:)I'lltell you how the treatment goes after I start applying the ear mitemedicine.

Thanks,

Cassandra

I agree with Carolyn about not attempting to washout the ears just yet. You can wait until the medicationloosens the crust so you can more easily wipe it out. Rabbitshate having the drops put in their ears, so you may need another personto help you, or you can swaddle the rabbit in a towel.

Pam

Latest posts

Back