Oh No!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kassandrah

Reaction score
Oh My GOODNESS My Stitch is starting to chew on my carpet how do I make her stop doing that?!?

My husband is not very happy with this carpet chewing thing she haspicked up and I dont want him unhappy with Stitch he loves her andwouldn't make me get rid of her but I dont want my carpets all rippedand chewed up!

And She also poopies all over my house! Im constantly behind her cleaning her droppings up off the floor.

Oh I have another question I have been toyingwith the idea of getting her a little cat scratching post type thingwith a hole in it for her to play in when she's running around thehouse but those have carpeting on it and Im thinking if I get somethinglike that will i be condoning her carpet chewing?

I was also having trouble with carpet chewing anddigging with Pigeon (and later Tramp picked it up as well). Acouple of things helped us out a lot with it. First of all,we moved them to an area where they are closer to the action of thehouse and their time out of cage is more supervised so I can monitorand correct their actions quickly. The ole squirt gun trickworks pretty good at getting their attention. Secondly, Ilearned they tend to prefer to tear up carpet in certain areas so I hidthose areas so that they could not get to them (it was normally in acorner and so easier to hide). Finally... I did just what youare thinking... I got them a carpeted kitty condo with a hidey hole andthey LOVE it. They go inside it and on top of it and chew anddig to their hearts content and never get in trouble for it!I keep a close eye on them to make sure none of the materials are beingingested but so far they don't seem to be interested in actually eatingthe stuff, just messing it up! I was also worried they wouldchew on the carpet more if they got away with it but I look at it a lotlike potty training them. Correct them if they startchewing/digging on the "good" carpet and put them on the one they areallowed to mess up and they catch on pretty quick! Anyhow...this all worked for me... so hopefully it will work for youtoo. Oh yes... and black pepper sprinkled on the carpethelped also! Pigeon especially didn't like sneezing fitsevery time she started digging! Good luck with your specialbunny!

-Cheryl

Thats great! thanks for the info Im gonna go outand get me one soon so she doesn't keep chewing up the good carpet Idont want to have my husband get upset and have to choose between thetwo of them where would my husband live?

Hahah Im kidding thanks again!

As Trampnpigeon stated, pepper is a gooddeterant, but you can get a white pepper too that isnt as noticable ifyou have light carpets. My Guinevere used to dig and pull atthe carpet, she loves the sound of the fibers ripping. Neverdid she eat it (I watched VERY carefully to make sure) so along withthe carpet in her house, I have a small square of carpet that she lovesto rip apart, push around and dig in. I make sure to cleanout the carpet fibers she pulls out daily and trim the strings whenthey start showing.

Kitty condos are great for buns! Some buns love to climb (like Gir the little devil)

Did you offer the bun something appropriate to chew on? Likecardboard? Or there is always giving the bun a nice fuzzytowel to dig, push, bunch etc =)

Great another super suggestion! I do give hercardboard and she has a few toys but she ignores them outside of hercage. Im starting the litter training thing so as for nowshe's confined to her cage my hubby isn't real happy with the presentsshe leaves all over the carpet when I missed a couple.

Use a watergun on her when she chews on thecarpet. You don't want her ingesting that carpet becauseshe'll have a blockage that will be extremely hard to break down.

I wouldn't take my eyes off of her while she's out. In many cases--not all, the chewing subsides with age.

-Carolyn

Lenci LOVES to chew up the carpet. Infear of losing our rent deposit, we went out and bought her a huge rugthat she can rip up, dig in and chew all she wants. Thissolved the problem.

Oh! That reminds me, thanks Lissa, youcan go to Pier 1 imports and buy an untreated grass rug. Thatmight help too! =) that is safe in case they ingest it too!

Untreated willow baskets are awesome too =)

Latest posts

Back